Sanitary Sealant

Hi - I've often found in commercial premises that the sealant used around showers and kitchen worktops is thicker than the standard sealant you might purchase for domestic premises.

I'd describe the product as a rubberised solid type sealant once set.

Does anyone know what this product is and where it can be purchased?


Asked by Brad on 2nd Nov 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"CT-1 is the stuff you want and apply with a silicone tool not touching the silicone with your finger."
Answered on 2nd Nov 2023 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
"When applying silicone from small beads to fatter beads it's about the form of thickness not different product. However today the trade are useing superior silicone like CT1"
Answered on 2nd Nov 2023 - Member since Feb 2022 - report
"It’s a sanitary silicone can be purchased from any stores selling building materials. It looks thicker because they fill it thicker instead thin as often used in houses."
Answered on 2nd Jan 2024 - Member since May 2023 - report
"The product you're describing, with a rubberized and solid type of sealant used in commercial premises for showers and kitchen worktops, might be a specialized construction-grade sealant or caulking compound. These sealants are often more durable, resistant to moisture, and designed for high-traffic areas commonly found in commercial settings.

Silicone sealants or polyurethane-based sealants are often used in commercial applications due to their robustness and flexibility once cured. They can create a more solid and rubber-like seal compared to standard household sealants.

To find this type of specialized sealant, you might consider visiting specialized construction supply stores, hardware stores that cater to contractors, or contacting construction material suppliers. They typically carry a broader range of professional-grade sealants that may not be commonly found in standard home improvement stores.

Additionally, it could be helpful to check the specifications of the sealants used in commercial settings. Sometimes, the product details or manufacturer information might be available on the packaging or through building maintenance records. This information could guide you in finding the exact product or a similar one for your needs."
Answered on 15th Nov 2023 - Member since Sep 2023 - report
"No nonsense, sanitary sealant white or clear
You can get from screwfix

£5.69 a tube

Great anti bacteria to"
Answered on 2nd Nov 2023 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
"Sold in Toolstation.Silicone 825 380ml White
by Everbuild
Product Code: 85598"
Answered on 2nd Nov 2023 - Member since Oct 2023 - report
"Hi, it’s probably normal sanitary sealant just been installed thicker than usual."
Answered on 16th Mar 2024 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
"its as thick as you want it
there are some that stay flexible and some dont"
Answered on 2nd Nov 2023 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
"You can buy the selicone from toolstation or screwfix"
Answered on 11th Jan 2024 - Member since Jul 2023 - report
"Generally a good quality bathroom or kitchen sealant should be rubberised to allow for some movement, thickness is determined by how it has been applied,"
Answered on 25th Feb 2024 - Member since Jul 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year