Garden Room Electrics - Part P

I have recently had my Garden Room (one new circuit added and consumer unit in garden room) connected to my house (around 10m away) - I have been provided with a Condition Report and Certificate for Minor Works. I am told by the electrician that these works are not classed as 'notifiable' and therefore I have not been provided with a Building Regulation Part P Certification.

Please can I have opinions? Thanks

Asked by Natalie on 30th Nov 2021
Expert Trade Answers
"Hi Natalie, if you have had a brand new circuit installed in the Garden Room then that would be notifiable works under the IET Wiring Regulations and Building Regulations, therefore you should have been issued with a certificate confirming this has been done. If the electrician has come off an existing circuit then that would be classed as “Minor Works”.


Dane @ DS Electrical"
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
"You should have received an EIC report/certificate for the new additional circuit on your existing fuse board for the garden room and an EIC report/certificate for the secondary consumer unit in the garden room. The work is notifiable under Part P building regs."
Answered on 4th Jan 2022 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
"Based on the description you have provided the installation of a new circuit is notifiable."
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
"Any new circuit in a domestic dwelling IS Notifiable it's as simple as that extending to outbuildings as well
The correct certificate given should of. Been an electrical installation certificate or eic for short. Given the fact. New have had a distribution circuit added eg another consumer unit installed with circuits coming off the new board I assume a minor works certificate is not correct or a condition report you should contact his CPS provider napit niceic or elecsa or whoever he is under
And also you should have his membership number I fear maybe this person is not registered in which case you will need a third party sign off who can notify the works
I hope you get it sorted"
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
"A new circuit is notifiable and the correct certificate should be an Electrical installation certificate and minor works(or add the minor works info into the IEC)"
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
"Here in the UK, even if you need to mount your own wardrobe from Ikea you need to have a licence, probably not to injury yourself.
No wonder why the regulation for covid is so extreme."
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Oct 2021 - report
"Hi, happy to answer this. If there was an existing supply that was repurposed, you could make an argument for issuing a minor works certificate. However, if as you describe, the garden room supply was added as an entirely new circuit in your house consumer unit and an additional consumer unit added to the garden room, this would come under notifiable works in my opinion. The excerpts below from the IET website:
Notifiable works-
The installation of a new circuit (relevant here)
The replacement of a consumer unit (also relevant)
Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location(not relevant to this instance).
I hope that helps."
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
"Hi, that’s correct the out building does not need to be notified for building control as long as the installation of safe and don’t correctly with correct documents provided, although certification can be sent to building control should you wish to.

Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Dec 2015 - report
"in agreement with others Natalie, yes if it is a new circuit connected into its own mcb then it should have been an electrical installation certificate, not a minor works certificate or an eicr. When you asked them to carry out the work did you say that a part p notification was required? there are many problems with this at the moment in that the structure needs signing of for building regulations and in turn yes they made need a part p notification from that point, and the fact that a new consumer unit in the garden room does, in my opinion, make this notifiable"
Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since May 2020 - report
"If the work has been completed using an existing circuit then he is correct
A minor works certificate will surface however if a new circuit has been installed you should have been issued with an EIC (installation certificate) and building control notification completed as per part P
From what you say the latter has occurred
If so the electrician used may not be registered with NAPIT, NIC/EIC or ELECSA and should not have done the work

Hope that helps"
Answered on 4th Jan 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year