MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Repainting a peeling wall

    Painters & Decorators

    When I had painted the first coat onto kitchen walls, I noticed that the paint on one wall wasn’t adhering properly and it had some marks which looked suspiciously like water marks. I think we have ruled out the possibility of the flat being damp, but it looks like there may have been a historic problem. Anyway, on the first coat some of the paint came away on the roller and then when trying to sort a crack, huge chunks of the paint fell away revealing the plaster underneath. I used a pallet knife to pull away the loose paint (pretty much the whole wall). Where do I go from here? My thought is to sand the wall down to get the patches of paint as smooth as possible and then use a peel stop primer (I’ve got the Zinnser one) and then mist coat as I would with a bare plaster wall? My other option would be to use a paint stripper to get the whole wall back to plaster but I don’t really want to go down that route!

    Asked by Jo on 14th Dec 2020
    Share this question
    UD Construction Ltd

    "If you don't want to plaster all wall then mist coat fill the areas that needed sanding down mist coat again then put stain block then painted."

    Answered on 14th Dec 2020 - Member since Apr 2017 - report
    Howman and Sons

    "When miss coated, apply the stain block next day go over that with oil based undercoat in white leave to dry then two coats of your finish coat
    should do the job
    Anthony Howman"

    Answered on 14th Dec 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    JS Carpentry and Painting

    "Sand down the whole wall, then apply PVA adhesive & sealer to the whole wall. When dry, apply the paint of your choice."

    Answered on 14th Dec 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    T@P decorating

    "I normally apply a stain block in a spray can for this type of stain. But oil based undercoat is just as effective"

    Answered on 20th Apr 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    Glitz Decorators

    "That is a good answer mate. The normal process from the start is always good."

    Answered on 15th Dec 2021 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Big T Property Services

    "I have come across this many times now and it's rather annoying as I've tried many ways to rectify the situation.
    I then found a wall sealant paint that is brilliant 2 coats and then leave to dry. The wall gets covered in what can only be discribed as rubber coating and gives a great finish. Hope this helps"

    Answered on 25th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Au Faix

    "You need to sand the effected areas and maybe spray stain block . This should stop anything seeping through"

    Answered on 5th May 2021 - Member since Apr 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content