Moving a consumer unit

Is it possible to move a consumer unit? Ours is right by the door and I'd like to move it to a cupboard, so it's out of sight.

Asked by Cheryl on 6th Oct 2022
Expert Trade Answers
"Yes it is - the challenge is if you need to lengthen the cables. If shortening them it’s lots easier."
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since Jun 2022 - report
"You need a qualified electrician and our company ..
In the UK a electrician can move it but had to be inspected by a nominated person with certificate use a company not a cowboy!!"
Answered on 7th Oct 2022 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
"Hi Cheryl.
Yes, it is possible.
You will need to install an isolator in order to extend your supply to the location of your new consumer unit. Also, you will need to reroute the existing circuits to the new location."
Answered on 8th Oct 2022 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
"Yes this is definitely possible as long as the consumer unit will be accessible for maintenance."
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since May 2022 - report
"It's possible to move the main thing is how far away from the main intake you want to take it. Dnos don't like more then 3mts maximum tails be fore you. Need to. Start to think about isolaters mostly depends on the route of the main tails. The cables can be extended. Easy enough in various. Ways."
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
"it can be moved, this will depend on the distance it can be moved, and there may be wires that need to be integrated into the wall, run across the ceiling, or hidden behind Conduit"
Answered on 10th Oct 2022 - Member since Jul 2022 - report
"Yes but depends on possible routes that the cables can be re run to your new location."
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since Jun 2022 - report
"Yes it is possible. Cost would vary depending on cable routes and distance from the meter cupboard would also need consideration."
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
"Hi Cheryl,
This is something that can be done but cables may need to be extended and a isolator will need to be fitted depending on how far it is from the main income.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if this is something you would like quoting.
Kind regards
L.W Electrical Contractors"
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report
"Certainly can. Would have to be surveyed to find routes etc but is verry doable"
Answered on 6th Oct 2022 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year