MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Get a Quote
  • Ask a Trade
  • About Us
  • Trade Signup
  • Categories
  • Login
  • Ask a Tradesman

    How do I fix a broken bathroom pull cord ceiling light?


    Hello all
    I have a ceiling light in my bathroom with a pull cord to switch it on and off. The cord itself has broken from the rest of the switch and the light is stuck on at the moment. I’ve not had this happen before, so I’ve never had to try and fix it.
    How could I fix this? Is the cord a replaceable part on these light switches?
    Any information would be appreciated!

    Asked by kashif on 30th Aug 2019
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Telekomm Solutions

    "You need to replace the pull cord. If you opt to replace your pull cord yourself then turn off the lighting fuse for the bathroom. This is where your consumer unit is. Unscrew the pull cord remove the two cables then replace with new pull cord. Be sure to turn off the mains power for safety."

    Answered on 10th Oct 2019 - Member since Feb 2018 - report
    ENLOUBAR Property Services Ltd

    "You will need to replace the switch. Remember safe isolation process as the supply on the switch is constant live.
    If you are unsure, hire a qualified electrician to do this for you instead."

    Answered on 2nd Sep 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
    A6 Electrician LLP

    "There’s usually a plastic link in the cord just below the switch. If the cord has broken here (or between the link and the Nd of the cord) it’s just a matter of feeding a new length of cord through the link and securing it with a knot. If it’s broken inside the switch, the best solution would probably be replacing the switch as it was probably already too stiff thus causing the cord to break. If you’re not sure how to do
    This, employ a qualified electrician"

    Answered on 2nd Sep 2019 - Member since May 2019 - report

    "Hi. Remove the pull cord switch cover and there should be a knot. Just remove the old knot and and attach new cord.
    If it's entangled with anything electrical - you may be best to hire an electrician instead."

    Answered on 2nd Sep 2019 - Member since Aug 2019 - report

    "There is normally a little piece of string still dangling from the switch that you can attach another string to. In your case I'm afraid you'll have to buy a new switch"

    Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2018 - report
    Wisewulf security and electrical

    "If the short cord coming from the base (about 2 inches) is still in place you can buy new cords from hardware shops, if not it’s a replacement pull switch. An electrician would be required to fit as it is a special location."

    Answered on 27th Jan 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Aura electrical southern ltd

    "You're best off replacing the whole pull cord. By the time you've taken down the existing one and tried to replace the cord you could have replaced the whole thing."

    Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2018 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content