MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Electrical safety


    A self employed fitter doing roller garage doors. Does he need any electrical qualifications. Ie controller 240v going to a 13amp plug 2 way motor. 24v light guards. Also 240v motor cable 4 core goes through side plate. No grommets fitted whole door is aluminium slats. Thanks

    Asked by Peter on 23rd Oct 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    NBA Security and Electrical

    "As long as the motor is the correct wattage for the plug and is not running any new cable from a socket or fuseboard then no
    He does need grommets if cable is touching any metal, and also seal up gaps if you can touch any live parts with a small screwdriver"

    Answered on 23rd Oct 2020 - Member since Sep 2017 - report
    GoSmart Electrical

    "The word to remember with ANY qualifications or registration schemes is COMPETENT. Many homeowners can carry out electrical work on their own property as long as they are indeed 'COMPETENT'. Of course many are not and so hire a professional.
    The lack of a simple component like a grommet which is designed to protect a cable just means one of 2 things:

    1. The installer is unaware of how a full electrical installation should be carried out and has ommitted vital parts.

    2. (worse case) sheer laziness. The installer had no pride in his work and opted for the quickest & easiest way to install the circuit. For me, this is worrying as if you can see errors on display, what errors are not visible?"

    Answered on 2nd Nov 2020 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
    LP Electrical

    "The guy fitting the doors seems only to be plugging in the unit after he has physically fitted the unit into the opening.
    The fact it is on a 13amp plug he doesn't need to be qualified any more than you would need to be qualified to plug in your TV, however, the person/company who build the door would have to work to their relevant British standards/wiring regulations. As long as the frame is earthed, which I am sure it is it should be fine, it's not ideal there are no grommets, but perhaps there are alternative methods used to ease the cables through the holes, grommets would have been ideal though."

    Answered on 3rd Nov 2020 - Member since Sep 2020 - report
    B.j.parkin building contractors

    "Competent trades I thought as long as no extension to ring main involved ok.
    Commercial work doesn't come under part only domestic.
    Always consult an electrician best advice."

    Answered on 23rd Oct 2020 - Member since Aug 2015 - report
    Nh electrical

    "The fitter would need to be at least part p registered due to working with electrical points , but the motor and 24v lights would be covered by the manufacturer of the door and the fact it’s plugged into means it’s not covered by any electrical installation/condition report due to it being classed as a portable device."

    Answered on 23rd Oct 2020 - Member since Oct 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content