MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Electrical Distribution board Q


    I’m in the process of getting three phase supply put in, SSE have advised I’ll need to have distribution/supply board setup for when they lay the cable.
    My question on is, what type of board to I need, they mentioned it would probably be on a concrete plinth and on a wooden back board.
    Looking for advise on all this please
    (I’m in the process of trying to find tradesmen to do all the excavation and electrical work)

    Asked by Tim on 30th Sep 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Reynolds and Sons Electrical Ltd

    "You will need a 5core SWA armored cable, 3 phase distribution board, with a 3-inch backboard on top of a 2×4 timber."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
    Sean boylan

    "I would recommend a Wylex-NH-125AMP TP and N
    Prices range from £98 to £299 + VAT depending on the amount of ways required."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since Oct 2021 - report
    All power test solutions

    "Generally, you put a DB on a block wall for two reasons
    1) mechanical integrity
    2) fire containment, domestic boards are put on wood for ease of fixing for the network provider or meter company
    who ever is designing and calculating the system should specify this, also, it should be a fireproofed cupboard with a lock and heat sensor
    when you calculate you should forecast for additional circuits, and also a surge protection device,
    I am an electrical designer eng and inspector, an electrician should be able to do this, TPN (three-phase and neutral ) boards start at 100 amp per phase,
    If you're laying a cable in the ground for supply then SSE have set criteria under ESQCR, BS62305 is the lightning protection regulations, Part B is building regs for fire, BS7671 is elec regs,
    As this is not domestic the SSE will require a DEAD TEST before connection to a meter.
    Hope this helps."

    Answered on 21st Oct 2021 - Member since Aug 2018 - report
    Patrick Nash

    "Research hager boards they will then advise you on what size etc"

    Answered on 11th Nov 2021 - Member since Nov 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content