MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Electric sockets


    I am having a new kitchen and the layout will be slightly different. Can l change a double socket to a cooker point and vice versa without having new wiring ?

    Asked by Cheryl on 9th May 2022
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    DC Electrical

    "Possible as long as cooker is on 3 pin plug and consumes less than 13 Amps. But best not to as it may create issue with future replacement appliance which may have higher demand."

    Answered on 10th May 2022 - Member since Mar 2019 - report
    Downey Electrical

    "You need 6mm cable for a cooker point. The regular wiring at a double socket is 2.5mm so you will need to rewire."

    Answered on 10th May 2022 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
    D & M Electrical & Media

    "No a cooker point is a different cable to a normal socket circuit the cable needs to be bigger"

    Answered on 10th May 2022 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Build electrics

    "You can't change a double socket to a cooker socket you can buy a cooker socket with a 13amp socket outlet for the cooker supply it's possible to plug a oven in a kitchen ring ring. If it's a single oven it normally comes with a factory fitted plug in it anyway but as for an electric hob that really needs to be fed from the cooker supply"

    Answered on 10th May 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    MC Electrical and Testing Ltd

    "No you can't as they are different supplies and power supplies to a cooker than to a socket"

    Answered on 10th May 2022 - Member since Apr 2022 - report
    CS electrical services and after hours call outs

    "Hi !
    You can only charge the cooker point to a double socket, the new cooker point will require a new cable, same size or greater than the existing one, depending on the wattage of the new cooker"

    Answered on 10th May 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report
    WK Electricals Ltd

    "First this depends on the rating power of the electric cooker, since a larger sized powered cooker need a larger design current hence larger cable size and corresponding MCB size.
    If the demand current is under 13A then l believe with a fused connection spur in place you may install a cooker with design current under 13A."

    Answered on 15th May 2022 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
    HILTON Maintenance Services

    "No ! The cooker circuit is recommended to be a radial circuit I.e a single supply cable and you’re kitchen sockets are most likely a ring main circuit also a minimum of 6mm cable should be used t supply your cooker point ."

    Answered on 14th Jun 2022 - Member since May 2018 - report

    "No you can not change a double socket to a cooker point, unfortunately, the cooker circuit will be on a specific size cable for the power output of the cooker.

    You will need to alter the wiring to accommodate the new layout of the kitchen.

    Josh - JW Electrical"

    Answered on 27th May 2022 - Member since May 2022 - report
    Electrical safety testing contractors

    "Hi, no you won’t be able too, many electric cookers work solely on 32amp and ideally need there own dedicated circuit."

    Answered on 6th Jun 2022 - Member since Nov 2018 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content