Ceiling spot lights and casing

There’s a small hole round the casing on the ply board around the spot lights on the ceiling , can u get a electrican to remove old casing and hide the holes with bigger casing ? the old casing is about 4inches wide

Asked by Timothy on 3rd Jan 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"Hi, yes you could remove the old casing and install a larger spotlight."
Answered on 9th Jan 2023 - Member since Oct 2022 - report
"You can buy downlights with a large surround that would cover a 4 inch wide hole."
Answered on 3rd Jan 2023 - Member since Oct 2022 - report
"Yeah you can get larger fittings, just make sure their fire rated , cost a couple quid more but not worth risk putting cheap fittings in, you’ll likely be better changing the lot or you’ll have a odd spotlight that’s larger then origanals, some manufactures for better quality spots have a range of bezels , ranging in size so thats also a option. Depends what you’ve already got in to decide easiest option"
Answered on 22nd Mar 2023 - Member since Feb 2023 - report
You can get expansion ring for some downlights
City electrical normally stock them and the downlights"
Answered on 3rd Jan 2023 - Member since Dec 2022 - report
"Yes you can get a bigger fittings to cover the hole, you call electrician to do the job if you’re not competent to do it."
Answered on 12th Jan 2023 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
"Yes, you can buy oversized downlight covers, look at electrical wholesalers TLC Direct they sell them."
Answered on 2nd Jul 2023 - Member since Mar 2023 - report
"Yes No problem as long as material used is properly fire rated."
Answered on 19th Jan 2023 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
"It depends on the brand of lights you have. I know Collingwood do large bezels for their H2 lite downlights. You just need to change the springs to larger ones which come with the pack and fit the larger bezal over the original. Hope this helps.
James JRH Electrical UK Ltd."
Answered on 8th Mar 2023 - Member since Dec 2022 - report
"You can get over size rings which go round smaller lights and cover holes left by bigger lights"
Answered on 3rd Jan 2023 - Member since Aug 2020 - report
"That's not a major problem. Any good electrician can solve that problem for yourself"
Answered on 14th Jan 2023 - Member since Dec 2022 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year