MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Can I install new electrical sockets in my home?


    Due to renovations in my home, I will need some additional electrical sockets installed in a bedroom.
    Currently we have electrical sockets on the wall directly opposite where we want the new electrical sockets. The room itself is approximately 9ft squared.
    Is this sort of installation something I can do myself and if so, what considerations will I need to take into account?
    Could I install the new sockets and use a connection to the existing sockets for the power and will it be safe?
    I want to be very sure that everything will be safe. Any advice from electricians with experience of this type of scenario would be appreciated!
    Many Thanks

    Asked by lauren on 16th Jul 2019
    Share this question

    "Hi no only trained professionals can undertake that work and if you do work yourself and it causes a fire or damage your insurance would be invalid ."

    Answered on 30th Sep 2019 - Member since Sep 2019 - report
    MAG Electrical Services Ltd

    "Hi, if you follow the guidance of BS7671 you should be okay.
    Before any work is carried out, you will need to check the protective binding to gas and water, the main earth and that the fusebox has a 30mA Rcd. The work has to be tested and certified."

    Answered on 21st May 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report

    "The answer is no
    All electrical work in England must be carried out by a competent electrician"

    Answered on 27th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    SM Electrical

    "Strongly advise using a qualified and competent person when working with Electricity. You can never be too careful. This will require some sockets needing rewired to the points and fitting out by professionals. Where about’s are you based?"

    Answered on 17th Jul 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Stephen Crumley

    "You need to ensure to continue the ring main, make sure it is a continuous circuit, you need straight through crimps in heat shrink or wago connectors in a wago box, don't use connector block or junction box."

    Answered on 16th Jul 2019 - Member since May 2018 - report
    Ambiance Electrical

    "I'd leave it to an electrician to do your work, as to depending what you fit and where may depend on Building Control being notified."

    Answered on 1st May 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Dino Electrical

    "Hi John,

    I recommend you investigate first if is a radial or ring circuit. If it s a ring you have to make sure you'll keep it one ring.
    Then make sure the old circuit is sound.Check and test the condition of cables including continuity test,Insulation resistance test, Zs test..."

    Answered on 18th Jul 2019 - Member since Jul 2019 - report
    Paul Rup-Rai

    "If you want safe then get an electrician to install and test and certify the installion of the extra sockets or the insurance people won't ever in case of an electrical fault starting a fire !"

    Answered on 20th Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content