MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    What should I do about a blocked sink drainpipe?


    Hi all
    Today I had a blockage in my sink’s drain pipe – I decided to unblock it using some drain unblocker liquid, thinking the block may just be some leftovers that had gotten stuck somehow.
    Unfortunately, this hasn’t helped and now I have a blocked drain pipe with unblocking liquid in there too.
    Is there any way I could try and fix this myself or would I be best to ask a plumber to take a look?

    Asked by duncan on 2nd Oct 2019
    Share this question

    Best Answer


    "You should fix it yourself by using a plunger first, then if you're not successful, remove the cupboard shelf below the sink (if there is one), place wide basin/ bucket under the U-Bend, remove and empty in a rubbish bin or toilet.
    The plumber will charge you £25 odd just to turn up plus whatever the job warrants on top."

    Answered on 27th Oct 2019 - Member since Jul 2019 - report
    Straight Up Fixes

    "Take the U bend off at the back of the sink. Put a bucket under it 1st to catch the old water"

    Answered on 9th Oct 2019 - Member since Aug 2019 - report
    Bubbles Plumbing & Heating

    "I would suggest getting a plumber out. I would remove trap and use a drain tool and send it down to unblock"

    Answered on 10th Nov 2020 - Member since Oct 2018 - report
    Ideal home

    "If a plunger doesn’t do the job try removing the waste trap below the sink. It should be a U-bend which is designed to catch any residue as the water is drained, best to wear some gloves and use a towel!"

    Answered on 28th Oct 2019 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    The 24hr Plumber

    "If you can use a plunger, make sure to cover the overflow (the small round or “grated area” at the top of the sink bowl) with a wet dish cloth to create a sealed area, then plunge the sink."

    Answered on 16th Jan 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Plumboss Maintenance

    "Hi this is something you could do yourself just unscrew the " U " bend under the sink and give it a clean and check for any blockage if this is clear, then the waste pipework will also need to be checked. If its blocked thats about all you could do, if you still have the problem then you will need a plumber as there's a possibility you may also need parts. Cheers, Craig"

    Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report

    "Hi there,

    Your best getting a plumber to have a look at this, majority of these drain unblocker liquids don't work unless In certain circumstances. Will definitely be a blockage which will need to be cleared professionally. I'm happy to give yourself a quote to do this, hope I've helped.


    Answered on 10th Oct 2019 - Member since Oct 2019 - report

    You can either use hot water and a plunger, or get a plumber out that doesn't charge call out to advice you accordingly.
    Hope that helps."

    Answered on 21st Feb 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Miss Plumb

    "Hi, 2 options.

    1). Warm water and a plunger, same theory as a toilet blockage. But make sure overflow hole in the sink isn't blocked (can use 1 hand)

    2). Get a bucket under the sink and start unscrewing the pipework.

    Hope this helps."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2019 - Member since Aug 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content