MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    German product to repair cracked internal walls


    Hi all, I need some advice. I'm about to hire a builder to modernise my flat. There a fair few cracks on a couple of walls. Nothing structural just your run of the mill period property issue. Most of the builders told me that they will rack out all cracks, apply mesh and then skim. One builder tells me that he won't skim all the walls. Instead use a German product and will apply it on these troubled walls and sand down and make good these walls. I kept asking him what is this "magic" product. He doesn't want to tell me, Instead he kept saying you can't find it here? Does anyone know what is this product might be or is he just telling me the fibs? Is the mesh and skimming the best option for me?

    Asked by Jonathan on 10th Feb 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Lewis & Price

    "If the cracks are in the plaster then by all means apply plaster webbing mesh then re-skim the walls if its behind the plaster then it could be a case of hacking it all off to see if the damage is behind causing it to crack and it could require rendering then re skimming."

    Answered on 10th Feb 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
    GE Restoration

    "I would think it's just 2pre filler which is very good for small hairline cracks he may be reluctant to give info so as not to give the cost away? But otherwise, mesh and render is a good idea if cracks are quite substantial .try google for the German product"

    Answered on 30th Jan 2022 - Member since Jan 2022 - report
    Brimble and son

    "I expect the guy will just easy fill and sand easy fill 60 is the product name I would just go for a reskim"

    Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Trowel Team Plus Plastering and Damp Solutions

    "Yes I don’t think there is a German product which is suitable, raking out and mesh would be the best option, we have carried out many repairs on old mills and Victorian building’s and we have had no issues with a mesh based coat.

    Any problems feel free to contact me anytime

    Kind regards
    Neil Horne
    Trowel team plus"

    Answered on 10th Feb 2020 - Member since Oct 2016 - report
    Ace plastering services

    "If the cracks are really deep it might be a case of hacking off and re plastering, by the time you've filled all these cracks and sanded it back you might just be better getting some one in to plaster it for you and it will give you a better finish. As for the German product your man is talking about, it's a new one to me, in my opinion if cracks aren't to deep, bond it and give it an over skim. This should sort it out."

    Answered on 10th Feb 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    T B Roofing Services

    "Strip the walls that are bad and dot & dab the wall then skim over."

    Answered on 10th Feb 2020 - Member since Nov 2015 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content