MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Making a door plumb on one side


    Hi I need advice on how I can make the handle side of the door frame plumb/square without disturbing the newly plastered wall on the inside of the room as I’ve painted the walls and glued the new architrave?
    I have access to the frame on other side but as I’m putting jams behind it’s just twisting it 😞it measures 30 inches at the top and 30 & 3/4 at the bottom. Im finding it hard to get a door to fit and don’t really want to buy a bigger door and have to trim it down.

    Can I add more lining to make it smaller maybe? or is there a way I can do it from the one side to push the bottom inward 3/4 of an inch?

    All advice will be very much appreciated

    Asked by Halimah on 19th May 2021
    Share this question
    Kevin Stevens

    "Hi, it will make a little difference in the gap if you pack the hinge out and split the difference the only thing you can do is move it over from the bottom of the casing

    Thanks, Kev"

    Answered on 19th May 2021 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    JR Property Maintenance

    "Hi you could use a detector to find out the stud spacings so you can get a general idea"

    Answered on 9th Jun 2021 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
    Perfect Construction

    "If you remove the architrave on the door frame side in question, you will then be able to insert some folding wedges and move the door frame to the required size."

    Answered on 20th Oct 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Close property services

    "You can try a move door frame inwards so that it goes square as long as no obstacles in the way i.e back mould on another side not stopping it from moving. Might have to loosen the back mould of the wall if its stopping the frame from moving. Hope this helps."

    Answered on 19th May 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content