MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Loft Conversion

    Loft Specialists

    I’m in the stages of planning a loft conversion. It’s not a huge loft and will probably only fit a desk and will be used for storage. I was advised to install two velux windows as to start with so at least we can get some light. I will need separate staircase going into the loft, for which there is space to do so - would I need an architect to draw all this up?

    Asked by Ray on 11th Jul 2019
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    My new loft limited

    "Hi the staircase company will draw for you for free"

    Answered on 10th Aug 2019 - Member since Aug 2019 - report
    R&R building Services

    To install Velux windows you wouldn’t and I don’t believe you need an architect for the stairs as you won’t be changing the use of the space just adding better access to the area."

    Answered on 11th Jul 2019 - Member since Feb 2019 - report
    Marc Watkins

    "No, you wouldn’t need an architect but In most cases, additional new joists will be required to comply with the Building Regulations as existing ceiling joists are unlikely to be able to take the staircase."

    Answered on 11th Sep 2019 - Member since Aug 2019 - report
    Z&C LTD


    No, you don't need an architect to draw this for you."

    Answered on 11th Jul 2019 - Member since Jun 2019 - report
    Hillview services

    "I don't believe a architect would be needed for these works a good contractor would be able to do these works without architecture drawings"

    Answered on 29th Dec 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Eden Consulting Ltd


    Not all loft conversions require an Architects input, however this is typically better from the outset as any design issues can be dealt with prior to construction works whilst ensuring current planning regulations are adhered to.

    In this specific instance with the staircase access, the works would involve structural alteration and as such a Building Warrant would be required which an Architect would be able to assist with.

    Hope this is of assistance, for any further queries or if you would require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact.

    Best Regards,

    Answered on 10th Jan 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Jeff Glass

    "Not really, you can liase with your local building control, they can advise you (planning office)"

    Answered on 29th Mar 2020 - Member since Aug 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content