MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    How competent is my electrician?


    What can I do if I’m not sure how safely an electrician is working? What if I see signs that to me looks like they may not be doing things right?

    Asked by Everson on 14th Jan 2021
    Share this question
    Felixstowe Electrical Services

    "The electrician you are using should be signing the work off and following BS7671 regulations. You can always ask if not sure what he is doing. You should be able to tell by his response if he is doing it right. If unsure you could always ask another electrician to cast their eye over it."

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    NISMO Engineering LTD

    "Electrician should display a safe working practices when carrying out any electrical works. This is of safety of own, property and all house holds. Electrician should follow safe isolation guidelines as described in BS7671 electrical work regulations act and health safety at work act etc.
    If the home owner see that the electrician is not doing right things he should stop him continuing the work immensely as this may lead to a more danger for everyone including the property.
    Electrician should be professional and should risk assessed for works he doing.
    Homeowner can the electrician what steps he is following."

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Paul McSherry

    "If they are not conforming with health and safety tell them to stop work. All competent electricians should be registered to carry out any work so ask to see certifications to ensure they are qualified."

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Bright Light

    "First of all, every electricians work will differ slightly. But the main goal is to make sure it's safe for usage and the installation abides by the Part P building regulation. If you are not sure, you can get an electrician who can carry out EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) test who will then give you a better idea of your existing installation, who will also advice you if anything is unsafe or if you need anything upgrading. Hope it helps."

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Jul 2019 - report
    Pro Electrical Services

    "Ask for his registration card and make sure he’s qualified"

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Aug 2017 - report
    JMC Electrical Service & Building Maintenance

    "Ask him or her for their business card or look at the quote they have given you and on there it will state if they are a qualified electrician and if they are a member of a registered group that will be on there and you can find out by ringing up the club it will be NICEIC or NApit other than that any works carried out on your property will need to be signed off so ask them are they giving you a certificate for the works carried out ?"

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Anson Electrical Services

    "Firstly I would ask for their qualifications and whether they belong to a professional body like the NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA or ELECSA. If they cant provide any of these then the chances are they may not be qualified for the works."

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    Hackwood Electrical

    "you're always entitled to stop works and get a second opinion or as many other opinions you wish... some Electricians may charge for this, some may not want to get involved... if they're with a cps like niceic or napit or whoever you can contact them but they're pretty useless.

    if you stop work the existing spark may want any changes paid first... that's up to you and if you're prepared for any legal battle they may bring your way, but if their work is substandard and you can provide evidence I wouldn't worry too much."

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    Ze-electrics service Ltd

    "I think as a client or an employer is good to ask questions if and when ever you are in doubt of any work that you have asked someone to do as professional.
    There may be different ways of doing things or how people work, but the paramount is how safe they are working and if they are working to the Electrical regulation BS 7671:2008.
    If they know what they are doing and you ask why they are doing what they are doing, I am sure as a professional they will stop and explain things to a layman’s view. If not, you can always ask another electrician or bring it up here for others to comment.
    I hope this explains your queries. Thank you"

    Answered on 14th Jan 2021 - Member since Jun 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content