How can I change my kitchen tap’s ceramic disk cartridge?

How can I change my kitchen tap’s ceramic disk cartridge? Is this easy as a DIY job?

Asked by Julie on 11th May 2022
Expert Trade Answers
"You need to isolate the water, then remove the tap head after this you will then need to remove the tap body and replace it with a new one

Tricky if you’ve never done this before

Hope this helps"
Answered on 11th May 2022 - Member since May 2022 - report
"Hi - the task itself is relatively straight forward (by that I mean once you have worked out how the tap handles are removed.) Identifying the correct valve for the tap is an entirely different matter. Most valves can more easily be removed with a 17mm ring spanner, rather than an adjustable wrench which will probably just round off the soft brass nut. You will be amazed at just how tight these valves are fixed in. If you are not careful, once you apply some torque, the tap will move instead of the valve. I've been replacing taps and valves for many years and would say that if you want to sort out a problem with a kitchen tap DIY it's probably easier to replace the whole tap. The cost of some tap valves is quite high and over the years I have accrued a number of tools, without which I would find replacing tap valves very difficult. If I were you I would get someone in or get a new tap."
Answered on 13th May 2022 - Member since May 2022 - report
"First of all, if you have a combination boiler turn the main stopcock off or sometimes you will have a ball fix valve underneath and you can turn the hot and cold off from there .then once done open the taps so no more water comes out, take the tap head off, might have a small screw holding it on .then you need 2 pairs of grips, one to hold the tap head and the other pair to unwind the tap body inside .you can then either change the rubber washer or just simply buy a new body cartridge and replace it .tighten it up .tsp head back on and then turn mains back on"
Answered on 11th May 2022 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year