MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Having electricity fitted into a garden shed


    I've just had a garden shed built in my garden to be used as a workshop. I need to run an electricity cable from my back kitchen over to the shed about 15 metres away. I have a power socket outside but I don’t just want to run an extension and i'm not sure if i'll need some sort of safety measure in place? Will I also need to get certification of its safety?

    Asked by Luke on 27th Mar 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Aspect electrical Services

    "If you are using this just a temporary measure just to use some power tool you could use it extension lead with RCD protection. But ideally for something permanent and if you was using extensive loading I would recommend SWA cable ( Armoured) is ran from the consumer unit to the outdoor shed with separate RCD board and wire sockets and light ect. Size of the cable will depend on what you are powering and if the shed is also wood or metal and length run of cable. You would for installation certificate an need an Electrican for this to be signed off via competent person scheme IE NICEIC."

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Sep 2015 - report
    Ct Electrics Limited

    "You should be aware that to run a new power supply outdoors, if there is no existing cable already available is classed as notifiable works and should be completed by someone who is able to provide an electrical installation certificate on completion."

    Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    Hackwood Electrical

    "As you're using the garden shed as a workshop, I'm assuming you're going to have hard-wired power tools, lighting, heating etc. For this, I'd come directly from your fuse board with a new circuit, wire in a cable that suits the environment, such as SWA wired in appropriate containment. The cable size will need to be calculated based on environment, cable length, MCB size. MCB size would be worked out from the maximum demand you'd need in the workshop. Yes, you'll need an electrical safety certificate."

    Answered on 29th Mar 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    JBW Electrics

    "Get a good local electrician to look at it, and talk you through the options.
    The works will need to be notified to your local Building Control as per Part P.
    Cost is going to depend a lot on what kind of workshop you want i.e what the max demand is likely to be.
    Hope that helps."

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2018 - report
    Crawley Harding Electrical

    "Yes you would need to get whatever work you have done certified. If you are using the shed as a workshop then you are better installing a garage CU and running lights and power from a separate board."

    Answered on 2nd Apr 2020 - Member since May 2019 - report

    "You didn't advise what type of devices or equipments you'll be using in your workshop, however, it is very likely that you will have to run a separate supply from your current fuse box back into the new shed. This will require a part p certification once done. I recommend getting a qualified electrician in and they were advise of exactly what what needs to be done safely ."

    Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2018 - report
    Decent Construction Ltd

    "Use RCD IN SHED with armate cable at least 2.5mm or 6mm. That would work"

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    SR Installations

    You will find that you will need to run this in SWA cable so it is protected from the possibility of someone accidentally getting injured and yes this would need to be certified and building control notified.

    Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Nov 2018 - report
    Aura electrical southern ltd

    "The best way to add eclectic to your garden shed would be to come off your fuse board with armoured cables. The size of cable depends on what is being installed in the shed, this can be protected by your fuse board if it is up to current regulations"

    Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2018 - report
    Get Wired Leicester

    "Hi, you will need an armoured cable running & depending on what your having in there, a sub board may have to fitted in the shed if you want to do it properly. RCD protection is a must & you need to take voltage drop into consideration. Cable size will depend on what equipment you will be using. It will be certifiable. Not a diy job unfortunately."

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    K.Barrie Electrical

    "It will, although it will be quite expensive. It would be very advisable to employ the skills of an electrician.
    It is under Part P. So a certificate is important."

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    S Moffat Electrics

    "Hi Luke
    Yes you do need to ensure that the job Is carried out correctly by a competent person.
    An electrical certificate should be issued on completion."

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    NDCL Electrical & Property Maintenance

    "This work would need undertaken by a qualified electrician who should also issue installation or minor works certificate along with notification to building control under part p regulations."

    Answered on 27th Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2017 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content