Garden Power Supply From Garage

Hi, i want to run an armoured cable from my garage consumer unit (which is fed from the main house consumer unit) to a garden room that would also have a consumer unit fitted to run LED lighting and small 13A power, is this an acceptable approach or can you not link consumer units? Thanks

Asked by Lee on 11th Jan 2021
Expert Trade Answers
"This will depend on a lot of factors the first being your main fuse is it a 60 or 100amp this may need to be changed depending what else the house is using etc next is the garage board what was that board installed for and what is it used to run and has it any spare ways to put a new circuit in and is it RCD or RCBO protected it really needs to be checked over before we can assess"
Answered on 12th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
"Yeas you can do this it is fine
Just need to put the correct fuse in to protect the cable that is feeding the garden room"
Answered on 13th Jan 2021 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
"Hi you have to have a separate earth supply (outside earth rod) and would advise a separate fuse board fitting inside and local power and lighting from there would ideally need a 32amp supply from the main house with an armoured cable either buried or clipped direct. I could quote you if local, where about are you based?"
Answered on 13th Jan 2021 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
"Yes laying the correct size cable, either cleating or burning as per the regulation... Leave the connections to a qualified sparky"
Answered on 11th Jan 2021 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
"Yes, this can be run as a spur, are there any spare RCB (fuse) slots on your garage consumer unit?"
Answered on 11th Jan 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
"Yes you can supply from the sub board. It does depend on the load you are going to put on the new consumer unit. The design of the circuit will also need to be checked depending on at supply you have, and what is in the shed and if there are any metal extraneous parts in the shed.
Ask an electrician to give a quote to carry out the works and certify the installation."
Answered on 11th Jan 2021 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
"You can do. But it's a risky business. You must be careful."
Answered on 16th Jun 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report
"The armoured cable would have to be run as a sub circuit from the consumer unit in the garage with the appropriate fuse

You must get a registered electrician to do this work with the local authorities notified"
Answered on 24th Jan 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
"To use two sub consumer units apply something called 'discrimination' by reducing the size of the main switch current rating ie from 100A from main incoming consumer to 60A next consumer unit in garage and reduce cable size to say 4mm and next consumer unit in garden shed main switch to 40A with 2.5mm cable connecting between the two consumer units."
Answered on 15th May 2022 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year