Garage Conversion - Planning permission and building regulations

I am wanting to do a DIY garage conversion. Our garage is detached and we want to convert into two bedroomed accommodation. Looking for advice on planning and building regulations.

Asked by Martyn on 12th Dec 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"If your having running water and othere services you will need to have planning and fire registration"
Answered on 26th Dec 2023 - Member since Mar 2023 - report
"Embarking on a DIY garage conversion to create a two-bedroom accommodation is quite an ambitious and exciting project. It's crucial to approach this with a thorough understanding of both planning and building regulations in the UK. Let's break down the key points you need to consider:

Planning Permission: Firstly, check whether you need planning permission for your conversion. Generally, converting a detached garage into living space may require planning permission, especially if you are changing its use (from storage to residential). However, some conversions fall under permitted development rights, meaning they don't require planning permission as long as they meet certain conditions. It's best to check with your local planning authority to confirm this.
Building Regulations: Regardless of whether you need planning permission, your conversion will need to comply with building regulations. These regulations cover aspects like structural integrity, fire safety, insulation, damp proofing, ventilation, and electrical works. You'll need to submit either a full plans application or a building notice to your local council's building control department.
Design and Layout: Consider the layout and design of the two bedrooms and any additional features like bathrooms or a kitchenette. Think about natural light, ventilation, access, and how the space will be used.
Insulation and Damp Proofing: Garages are not typically built with the same level of insulation as residential buildings. You’ll need to upgrade the insulation to make the space habitable. Also, ensure adequate damp proofing is in place.
Electrical and Plumbing: If you’re adding a bathroom or kitchenette, plumbing will be a key consideration. Electrical wiring will also need to be planned, adhering to safety standards.
Heating and Ventilation: You’ll need an efficient heating system and good ventilation to prevent damp and condensation.
Professional Advice: While it's a DIY project, getting professional advice for certain aspects (like structural changes) is advisable. You might need to consult an architect, a structural engineer, or a building surveyor.
Notify Your Neighbours: If your property is semi-detached or terraced, you should notify your neighbours about your plans, particularly if the work falls under the Party Wall Act."
Answered on 27th Dec 2023 - Member since Dec 2023 - report
"Yes you need to get dwelling regs not hard to get."
Answered on 3rd Jan 2024 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
"You don't need planning permission or building regs for DIY garage conversion but the issue will come when it comes to selling your house. Your next buyer would need the building regs for this to class it as another 2 bedrooms for you to make a profit of your hard work"
Answered on 12th Dec 2023 - Member since Sep 2022 - report
"Technically you don’t need permission as you not disturbing any existing walls , it is only conversion you only need before selling once you have relevant certificates,"
Answered on 12th Dec 2023 - Member since Aug 2023 - report
"If you want to convert your garage to a habitable dwelling then you have to apply for change of use
So it will need building regulations approval
Got to take into account that services need to be run to garage, water, waste, eletrics ,
You dont need planning if your not changing the the size or shape"
Answered on 13th Dec 2023 - Member since Jan 2018 - report
"You will need a artatech and building control they will look at it"
Answered on 31st Dec 2023 - Member since Dec 2023 - report
"Conversion a front garage into 2 bedroom flat need full permission from planing commission. Council also will be involved."
Answered on 23rd Dec 2023 - Member since Nov 2023 - report
"Check out

This will tell you all the guidelines you need as it is the same in the UK no matter where you are."
Answered on 7th Jan 2024 - Member since Dec 2023 - report
"Hi, what area are you in. have you checked on the councul web site"
Answered on 25th Dec 2023 - Member since Aug 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year