MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Draining radiators on a communal heating system


    Hi all,

    I have a small plumbing job to do for which I need to drain the radiators in my property. There are only two radiators, that are fed by a communal boiler, and pass through an immersion heater. I have already identified the isolation valves for the primary flow and the return to my property. I don't have access to the communal boiler, or the specifications for it, and the building manager hasn't responded to my e-mails in months.

    What I need to know is, how do I isolate my radiator system from the communal boiler in order to drain the radiators and work on the pipes, and then safely open the flow again once the work is done?

    I have no pressure gauge in my property, is pressure something I need to worry about? Or is it as simple as turning off the flow and return to my property, draining the radiators, doing the work, and then turning them on again and bleeding the radiators until they refill?

    I'd be very grateful to anyone that can help with this query.

    Asked by Phil on 30th Mar 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    All Trades Maintenance


    If you can isolate your radiators independent to the system then feast drain down but when refilling if it's a combi boiler you will need to re-pressurise or the boiler will lock out. If it's a standard system boiler them you can open back up and refill. If you have radiators on a level above your property these may need bleeding as you may take water from them when filling yours back up.
    Regards Steve
    All Trades Maintenance"

    Answered on 6th Apr 2021 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    DJL Plumbing and Heating

    "If your living in flats there should be a set of lever valves isolating your property."

    Answered on 6th Apr 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report

    "Hi. When living in flats, each residents property should be connected to a set of lever valves isolating your property. Hope that helps."

    Answered on 6th Apr 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content