Can I replace the gas/electric box cover?

Hey there, do the gas and electric company need to change the box covers or can I do it? I want to change the old boxes from brown to white.

Asked by caroline on 10th Apr 2020
Expert Trade Answers
Best Answer
"If they are surface mounted then you can get a competent person can change them."
Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since Jul 2019 - report
"You can replace the door. The box itself would require the disconnection and reconnection of the mains."
Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since Aug 2019 - report

The Electric and Gas meter boxes outside a property are built-in units. You can paint them if you wish. Although if the doors on the meter boxes are damaged. Specialist over doors can be obtained. I would recommend that the cover over the door is fitted by a professional.

Best Regards,
Complete Solution Services Limited"
Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since May 2019 - report
"Good Afternoon.
The responsibility of your gas/meter box is the homeowners responsibility. If you wish to change it you can do so at your own accord.

I hope this helps
Infinity Electrical"
Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
"The only issue with replacing the electric meter is sometimes the service head is screwed into a board. So you’d need to pull the main fuse to disconnect it.
I’m sure I’ve done it before, so I can’t see it being a problem. Why not contact the supply company and ask them directly?"
Answered on 20th May 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
"No they shouldn’t have to but if in doubt give them a ring and they will tell you what you have to do"
Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
"Some are simple to change over others more difficult.
Simple jobs can be done yourself such as changing the doors, though these can cost between £24 and £75 each depending where you go.

Sometimes you need an electrician and a gas engineer.

have you tried ring the companies involved as some install free of charge depending on the damage."
Answered on 1st May 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
"Depending on the type and damage involved , yes you can !"
Answered on 20th Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
"you would need to buy a box from jewsons the builders merchants. Take your lid with you, because the boxes are made by a number of providers but only sold by jewsons. If it is identical then you can do it yourself"
Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since May 2020 - report
"due to the fact the enclosures house mains electricity and mains gas I'd recommend getting a competent person in to change these for you, alternatively why not clean them up and paint them?"
Answered on 30th May 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year