MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Can I install a wall light myself?


    Hi everyone, I hope you can help. We’ve just moved into a new house and the conservatory doesn’t have any light fixtures. It does have a light switch already installed so there is definitely wiring in there. We want to install a wall light. Is this something I can do myself with no experience or do I need to hire an electrician?

    Asked by Patrick on 3rd Apr 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Lumia Av & Electrical car charging

    "The regulations state that a competent person can carry out the works. However, that's assuming that the wires that are there are connected correctly to the fuse board and that the cable is in good health. Also the correct cable is used.

    If you just purchased the house it should have had an ECIR done prior to completion.

    If there's a switch on the inside of the house and the light is to go in the conservatory is it a purpose built extension or PVC. If it's PVC you should see the if there was an existing light fitting.

    The good news is that if there is a light switch near by, then it's possible to run a new light feed from this switch to where the light is required (in walls or in trunking)

    Hope this helps


    Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
    Manchester Electrical

    "Hi there

    You should get a qualified electrician to do the work for you"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Antony Beard Electrical Services

    "I would advise against installing it yourself until you have referred to the electrical condition report for the house that would have come with the house documents. Connecting onto existing services without testing can cause further complications."

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
    Get In Access Solutions


    If the wiring is there for a wall light then, pretty easy if you have basic knowledge. If not then you need an electrician for sure.

    Kevin - electrician"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Reffell Electrical Services

    "Hi, I would not reccomend someone other than a qualified electrician to install or change a light fitting. The reason being an electrician would be able to test using their tester to see if the earth is present at the lighting point, this is the green and yellow wire that is an essential safety feature that protects the individual from an electric shock if the fitting was to become faulty.
    Even if the wire is there and connected it doesn't mean there isn't a break somewhere else. They would also be able to tell whether there are any other further issues with that circuit.

    It may also be a good idea to have an EICR carried out if this has not already been done. This is not an expensive test but would check the wiring in the house for any other faults or DIY jobs done poorly.

    Hope this helps
    Reffell Electrical Services"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Sep 2019 - report
    Livewires Electrical Ltd

    "No, all electrical work should be done by a part p registered electrician."

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Sep 2019 - report
    electro charge

    "You need to hire an electrician I would say… it’s not worth the risk to yourself and others.

    I think if you watch and listen to what the electrician says you might learn the basics if you ask, next time you might be ok to do it yourself ??"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Telekomm Solutions Ltd

    "Hi there, you need find a a qualified electrician. Home electrics should not be performed my a unqualified person.


    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2018 - report
    DH4 Electrical

    "I would strongly advise you not to do it especially if you have no experience. Just because there a switch there doesn’t mean it’s appropriate for a light it may just be a switch wire with no neutral to it. You need to consider your insurance aswell, if it’s a new build you will also invalidate your warranty. This would be classed as minor work if your going off the old circuit and would not need declaring to the council. However lighting circuits can be confusing. It’s up to you but I would advise against it."

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Crawley Harding Electrical

    "You will need an electrician, this is definitely not someone should be trying to do themselves"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since May 2019 - report
    Project Engineering

    From the information you have provided I would recommend an electrician.
    Not knowing where the existing cables run could cause issues for safe working, and a safe installation.

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Jun 2019 - report
    C Williams Electrical & Renovation Services

    "The problem you have is you need to identify what the switch is doing , possibly an outside light , although you should have a live wire at the switch you don’t necessarily have a neutral"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Oct 2018 - report
    m b maintenance

    "I would question why there is a switch with no light already.
    Simple rule if you don't know don't touch, because if you make a mistake, you will still have to get someone out to fix that as well costing more, that is of course if your lucky enough not to start a fire."

    Answered on 5th Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Decent Construction Ltd


    You definitely need to find existing wire for light and wire in switch coming from light. So without finding existing wire your switch is useless

    Otherwise hire a electrician who may charge around £50 to install it. Thanks"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Socket service

    "I would recommend you hire an electrician as it will require a little investigation to see how far along the lighting installation is and to check it is fused correctly and complies with BS7671"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Brindle Installations Ltd

    "I would suggest you employ a qualified electrician as it will need testing before being put to use also unless you know what you are doing. Electricity can kill"

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
    AC Property services

    "Hi lighting is probably too difficult for
    any novice and working with electrical
    circuits should be done by a qualified
    If was an easy profession we wouldn't
    have to take so many exams.
    Most DIY can be done by homeowners.
    This can't."

    Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content