Built in oven wiring

Hi, I need to replace a built in oven. Can I wire this into a 13amp fused spur? Does the oven need to be less than 3kw?
The cooker hasn't got its own supply straight from fuse board.

Asked by Darren on 1st Aug 2022
Expert Trade Answers
"Most modern oven’s are fan oven’s they will work off of a 13 amp plug
They normally come with a plug attached"
Answered on 1st Aug 2022 - Member since Aug 2020 - report
"The original and newer ovens are usually 3Kw in capacity anyway.
Wiring in off a spur is not a problem at all, but do include a 13A fuse in the spur socket though.
And also do check and make sure the new oven is less than 3kW"
Answered on 6th Aug 2022 - Member since Jan 2018 - report
"Yes Darren if es undef3kw you are fine whit a 13amp .But if is a 3kw or over that you require hard wire usual is a 6 mm"
Answered on 1st Aug 2022 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
"If it is a single oven 13 amp plug will probably be okay if it is an oven and separate grill you will probably need 20amp and a 6mm cable and a separate breaker run from a cooker point directly to the consumer unit"
Answered on 13th Aug 2022 - Member since Aug 2022 - report
"If the oven hasn’t come with a plug attached, ideally it needs its own supply. You could argue with diversity applied, you could get away with it but 3kw and above, we’d be recommending it’s own circuit."
Answered on 1st Aug 2022 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
"Yes you could and yes it would need to be no more than that. You should test the circuit to make sure it’s also in good enough condition to add the load and that you have enough power etc across all."
Answered on 1st Aug 2022 - Member since Jun 2022 - report
"Yes you can as the majority of new ovens come with its plug. They already working with 13 amps. Thanks"
Answered on 1st Aug 2022 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
"If it's a single oven chances are it's got a plug on it anyway. So can easily be plugged in the kitchen ring main
A double oven could need it's own supply"
Answered on 1st Aug 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
"Engaging the services of an electrician would preferably be advised."
Answered on 16th Aug 2022 - Member since Aug 2022 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year