Freestanding oven does it need a cooker point?

I bought a replacement oven recently after mine gave in. My last one was built into a special cooker point which has been disconnected and the new one came with just a regular plug. Should this be plugged into a separate socket like my old one of can i just use a regular 3 pin plug socket? I'm just wondering if there's any regulations i should be worried about. Thanks in advance.

Asked by Abdul on 28th Mar 2020
Expert Trade Answers

Your appliance came with a standard 3 pin plug socket so you are okay to use a regular socket.

Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2018 - report
"Ideally you'd want it off the plug top and hardwired but read the manufacturers instructions."
Answered on 29th Mar 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
"You can use 13A plug if the oven in up to 13Amp.
Most of the ovens are connected bu 13A plug, but you should have a socket wired into the cooker supply."
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
"Usually, a freestanding cooker is generally hard-wired into the blank plate already located on the kitchen wall, and the new cooker itself would need a 6mm cable size for the electrical supply. If the cooker has arrived with its own plug I suspect it's a maximum of 3kw and safe to be used on a 13amp plug."
Answered on 10th Apr 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
You can use a single plug with 3 pins if is been designed like that with no problem.
Hope this will help you"
Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
"Yes you are ok to connect to a 13Amp socket if the oven comes with a factory fitted plug top.
William Stevenson"
Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
"Yeh your old oven sounds like it was connected to a 45 cooker point, so the fuse rating would be a lot higher than what's required for your new cooker."
Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2018 - report
"Yes it should have some sort of isolation point maybe a cooker switch ."
Answered on 29th Mar 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
"The new oven will be rated at 3kw or less as its on a standard BS rated 13amp plug top. You can plug the oven into a standard socket but it would be best practice to utilise the existing installtion and remove the old cooker outlet and replace it with a standard socket outlet. The existing mcb / fuse will protect the original cable feeding the cooker and the 13amp fuse will protect the oven."
Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
"Use the cooker circuit to derate the circuit to 16 amp"
Answered on 28th Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
Although you could plug the oven into a normal socket it would always be advisable to use a designated cooker circuit with a switch located above the worktop. That is there to switch off the oven in an emergency.
Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Sep 2019 - report
"Hi if it came with a plug then this tells me
that the amperage is suitable for a normal
ring or radial circuit. A lot of cooker are
now fitted 13 amp plus."
Answered on 3rd Apr 2020 - Member since Mar 2019 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year