MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Worn stumps and joists


    Why might stumps or joists have worn and eroded over time? What can I do about this?

    Asked by jonathan on 3rd Feb 2021
    Share this question
    D.P Contractors

    "Stumps and joists can erode with damp issues, condensation, woodworm.
    Joist typically erode when fitted into or next to brickwork.
    Solutions are normally to make sure Damp proof membranes are fitted correctly in the walls protect all Joists/Stumps from damp"

    Answered on 3rd Feb 2021 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
    Tom's Team Ltd

    "Not sure what you mean by stumps but joists can rot, particularly where they are 'pocketed' into a wall. To rectify this, ensure that the walls are not damp from penetrating rainwater, rising damp or leaks. Then replace the joists.
    Joists can be hung from joist hangers instead of being pocketed into a wall and this allows better airflow."

    Answered on 4th Feb 2021 - Member since Oct 2017 - report
    MML Construction

    "Could be a number of reasons. Re: have got damp/wet due to damp problem or no airflow so this creates moisture/condensation as they can’t breathe. Woodworm is another possibility.
    Depending on the state of the joists... If woodworm, you can apply a sealant to kill and prevent the woodworm from spreading further. If there really warped and wet/damp then depending on how severe they are, you may have to change them. If it’s caused by moisture/condensation then maybe add an air brick and ducting.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards
    Mitch..... MML Construction"

    Answered on 5th Feb 2021 - Member since May 2018 - report
    Ashtan interiors ltd

    "They are worn because of water ingress. Firstly you have to prevent water ingress. Then you have to cut out the joist 60mm past the furthest point of erosion. Then you have to install a wall plate bolted to the wall with joist hangers attached. Then you bolt a new joist to the side of the cut joist ensuring that the bolts will carry the load. Installed into the new wall plate nailed into the joist hanger. The hanger must be nailed with twist nails. I highly recommend you used a construction professional to do the job."

    Answered on 3rd Feb 2021 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Froggatt home improvements

    "Seems like they have wet or dry rot can't really
    Without looking, you would have to replace them
    But if you have a dwarf wall underneath you could probably get away
    With just doing from there hope this helps

    Answered on 3rd Feb 2021 - Member since Sep 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content