MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    My entire wall is damp, will it need replacing?


    I recently cleared out under my stairs and found mould growing along the back wall. After clearing it off with mould spray and bleach, I found in the plaster peeling off in the corner. Using a moisture meter I found it to be very damp at least 1.2m high. Will this wall panel need replacing?
    I also checked moisture content along the skirting board and I think all of it in the cupboard will need replacing. mAlso, is this question better for a plasterer or a builder? Maybe I'm asking the wrong people!

    Asked by Florence on 23rd Feb 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    E + E plastering

    "Sounds like it could be a combination of rising damp and condensation, the best thing to do is to see if the damp is in the wall by drilling 2 small holes and using the prongs on a moisture meter, if there is damp in the wall it could be rising damp if not it's condensation, either way you will need to hack the wall to around 1.5m and tank then re plaster, if its rising damp you would need to add a damp course which can be done with dry rod or cream"

    Answered on 26th Mar 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    JBS Electrical and Building Services

    "You can use a Plasterer or Builder as long as they know what they doing I would recommend damproof plaster and skim over it."

    Answered on 4th Apr 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report

    "Any builder will remove the damp section, re-plaster with a foil back plaster board and tank the walls to prevent it happening again."

    Answered on 25th Feb 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    LB plastering & general building

    "Hi, this is Leigh from LB Plastering.
    If you have damp coming in it's more likely it could be your render finish on the outside if you have any hairline cracks.
    With render, water will find it's way in 100%. So you should be looking at the outside first.
    I would recommend using a silicone based render as it is highly waterproof.
    Many thanks,

    Answered on 11th Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    DanCos. Construct ltd

    If you have damp damage then you need to hack off all the render back to the bricks and re-render with waterproof solution mixed in with mortar. Yes it's a builder job."

    Answered on 23rd Feb 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
    Jms construction

    "Hi, you will need a builder or plasterer for this one.
    Hack off all the plaster and treat with a slurry mix then re-plaster."

    Answered on 24th Feb 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    ECO Builders MK

    "Before hacking off the plaster, you need someone with experience to see what is causing the damp problem in the first place? The main cause of damp in cupboards and behind furniture, is condensation, (especially if you have a gas cooker) which may come back after plastering!"

    Answered on 11th Mar 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    Tw plastering and building

    "The wall will need stripping of old plaster to 1.2m high then treated by injecting damp proofing chemicals then once dry replastered with which ever system will be best for the situation.

    Answered on 31st Mar 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Mike Silvey Paving and Landscaping

    "You need to find out where the water is coming in from. As I don't know the layout of your property I cannot point you in any particular direction, that said I would check all gutters are running freely, no holes in the roof, then check no windows etc are letting water in.
    There is no point having it plastered until you find the cause."

    Answered on 3rd May 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content