MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    New cooker installation


    I have just bought a new cooker its says this cooker is designed for a 220-240v it has a smaller wire fitted on it my old cooker had a much thicker wire on it is it still ok to be hard wired to same connection in my wall any help will be much appreciated

    Asked by Faron on 2nd Jun 2020
    Share this question
    m b maintenance

    "if its uk spec it will say 220-240v, its what amps it requires and what amps the breaker is supplying that matters, get a electrician to do the calcs and wire it in"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Hexa Electrical Services LTD

    "Hi Faron

    If you’re new cooker has a smaller wire compared to the old one then your new cooker has to have a smaller fuse or breaker as well to give over current protection to your cooker. If your new cooker is less than 3000w or 3.0Kw then it can be plugged into a socket. Hope it helped."

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    SW Electrical Services

    "If the cooker is new and came with the cable fitted I would assume it is manufacturer approved and would be fine
    Cheers sam"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
    Advanced Systems

    "It's not the voltage you should ultimately be concentrating on in this situation although you have to ensure it's about 230v. You have to check the full load this item will use and that will be Kw's. It will be on same label as you were looking at. Then you can work out what cable is required. Simplest way is to match new appliance with old one then you know cable will be fine. Hope this helps."

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Dec 2013 - report
    KPM Electrical

    "It all depends you have to check the manufacturers instructions you may need to change the fuse in the main board depending on what it says your old cooker would have been on a 32amp and the new one may need a small one like a 16 amp or 20 amp depending on what it says"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
    Blue Light Electrics

    In brief, most older cooker points are supplied with 6mm twin+earth cable, this is generally adequate and in compliance with wiring regulations. Larger appliances with double or more ovens often require 10 mm supply cable in line with the power demand ( measured in KW).

    If your new (modern) cooker has a smaller diameter connector cable then this would suggest that the power demand (measured in KW) is lower than the cable carrying capacity and as such adequate for the purpose.

    That said, if in doubt always be guided by the manufacturers instructions and / or a qualified electrician.

    More than happy to provide further advice and a quote to ensure a safe and compliant cooker installation.

    Blue Light Electrics"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Soaring Hillman Ltd

    "Check back of the cooker and see how much kilowatt it's using then divide by 220. I don't use less than 6mm to wire a cooker. The wire that's there should be fine"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    Hillmore Electrical

    "You need to find out the KW your new oven requires.

    Take a picture of the current set up, it might allow us to tell wether you need a new cable installed"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Feb 2020 - report
    electrical services

    "Hi yeah it should be fine to use the cable provided, they would always provide the correct size of cable when manufacturing. Is it separate hobs and oven?. the 6mm cable is mostly for the hob part of a cooker as it is the biggest load but the oven part can run off a smaller cable. If hob and cooler are combined on the new cooker then you may need to check it properly before installation I can help more if needed and if I haven’t explained properly"

    Answered on 3rd Jun 2020 - Member since Aug 2019 - report
    Electrical Wiring Solutions ltd

    "If it has come prewired then it would need connection to a fused connection unit which can be swapped over from a cooker point, I would recommend and electrician to do this as you will need to derate the mcb controlling the circuit as well"

    Answered on 4th Jun 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content