MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Lowering ground level


    Hi, I've had a damp survey done on a house I'm in the process of buying and it has recommended that the ground is lowered at the back of the house to prevent water splashing from the patio tiles onto the walls (and hopefully exposing the air bricks so that the sub floor is ventilated). I think the job would involve slicing off some of the patio tiles, digging down to the appropriate depth, laying down a membrane and then filling in with gravel. I'm not sure which is the most appropriate trade to do this - would it be something a general handyman could do?

    Asked by Tim on 19th Apr 2022
    Share this question

    Best Answer


    "Yes, General handyman/woman can do it, there are lots of different variations and you need to look at different methods and also if the land is leaning down to the back of your property, try to keep pooling or flooding, sometimes its a good idea to put a drainage channel and tie it in with an existing water channel like a rainwater drain, with a grill on, this allows it to run into the water system and cause no problems,"

    Answered on 19th Apr 2022 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    L.L plastering & handyman

    "A general handyman could do that but a ground worker would be the best man for the job."

    Answered on 22nd Apr 2022 - Member since Apr 2022 - report
    REY-YAN Construction

    "You know how to get a job done. To assist you, the builder needs to come and see the work to be done."

    Answered on 19th Apr 2022 - Member since Mar 2020 - report

    "Your ground level should be 2 courses below your damp course"

    Answered on 19th Apr 2022 - Member since Apr 2022 - report
    Dana Vatamaniuck

    "This is a difficult one to answer without looking at it. If your air bricks are covered, then the whole patio area needs to be removed to a level lower than the air bricks and the new one needs to be sloped away from the house. Putting in a membrane and then gravel on top will not solve the damp issue, as the water will only collect in the trench. If the patio is higher than the ground level beyond that, a trench could be cut along the house, around the patio to the lower ground level and perforated pipe put in and covered with pea shingle. The water will flow through the pea shingle, into the pipe then off to the lower ground level. I would have to look at it to give the best answer."

    Answered on 19th Apr 2022 - Member since Dec 2019 - report

    "You're probably right in what you have said, can I ask what soil type are you on, is it clay, sandy, chalk etc.? Depending on the ground soil around your property, what you have suggested might not be enough. You might have to run soak away pipe, as the water might still sit next to your house.
    I think using someone with no experience, means they might not be able to assess the situation correctly and end up costing more money in the long run."

    Answered on 25th Apr 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content