MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Locating underground sewers and drains

    Drainage Specialists

    How do you find out where underground sewers and drains are actually located? Is there a website or service that I could use to find out more information on this? Thanks for your time.

    Asked by Bill on 22nd Feb 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    TT Drainage and Plumbing Services Ltd

    "The best way is to pick up the manholes which should be outside in the front or back gardens or at the side of the house once up run water down the sink and flush the toilet you should be able to work out where they are coming from and to by the way the water is running too.

    If there are no manholes you will need to have a CCTV Survey of the drain line by removing the toilet"

    Answered on 22nd Feb 2021 - Member since May 2019 - report
    kevin dunne/ civils ground work/genaral building work

    "I would lift a manhole cover and see which way they run, from manhole to manhole, they all ways run straight"

    Answered on 22nd Feb 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report

    "Is there a manhole in your garden rear/front or maybe your neighbour's gardens?
    Many thanks"

    Answered on 22nd Feb 2021 - Member since Jul 2020 - report
    Anglian Drainage Services


    The drains that are owned and adopted by a water authority will be mapped and available to them but not usually to the public. There is software that accesses these maps but you have to pay for a licence from the owning water board to gain access.
    If the drainage system is on private property then you will have to have a drainage survey carried out by a drainage company. Ask them to map out the drainage and then you will have a record of the drain location, size and direction of flow."

    Answered on 25th Feb 2021 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    Heatwave Engineering

    "Try speaking to your local water undertaking who will maintain a complete record and plan of everything that is in their responsibility."

    Answered on 22nd Feb 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content