MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Installing a Chimney Cooker Hood


    Do I need to have a socket above the cooker on the wall for the the wires?
    The cooker hood does not come with a plug. I have two sockets on both sides of the cooker on the wall. Would like to avoid seeing any wires or leads. What sort of work would be required to get this fitted and how much would this cost.

    Asked by Natasha on 13th Nov 2020
    Share this question
    Get In Access Solutions

    "Would need to see pictures really and a cooker would normally need it’s own supply as they use quite a lot of current. Could range from £160-£290."

    Answered on 13th Nov 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    L&H Electrical

    "Most of the time you put a unswitched socket behind the flue and have a switched spur that is protects the socket at a different location"

    Answered on 13th Nov 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
    W. T. Electrical

    "There are 2 ways one you can fit a spur switch at the Same level as the sockets and run a wire to where the hood is or fit a socket behind the hood.
    Either way, the wall has to be chased out to put cables
    Cost between £180 - £280 depending on what problems there are.
    Especially if you have tiled walls."

    Answered on 13th Nov 2020 - Member since Aug 2020 - report
    THPD Services Ltd

    "This job requires additional wires that can connect from the existing sockets on the wall to power the cooker, this job would be of £100 roughly"

    Answered on 13th Nov 2020 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    Parallax Engineering Evolution

    "The wires can be chased within the wall and then plastered and painted, inside the cooker hood will hide the terminal outlet for the supply to the cooker hood, the cooker hood can be fed with the spur from either of the two sockets and the 3A fuse to be fitted inside the spur to support extra protection. The chasing can be up to £250-£350 depending on how far the cooker hood is from the two socket outlets mentioned. Plus parts, the parts is dependent whether you want chrome , brass or just plain white, they all have different prices. The connection fees for the wiring will probably be £50 - £75, plus the minor certificate may be given for the additional circuit, this may cost £25"

    Answered on 14th Nov 2020 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
    Electrical copperheads ltd

    "You need a fused spur fitting to the height of the ceiling and a flex from the external fan to run inside to the ceiling and connecting above under the floorboards upstairs"

    Answered on 4th Jan 2021 - Member since Jun 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content