MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    How to fix a sputtering showerhead

    Bathroom Specialists

    What causes a sputtering shower head? Is this something I can fix myself? Or would I need to hire a professional?

    Asked by Kelly on 1st Feb 2021
    Share this question
    KD Installations

    "Hi its an air lock. The first way to clear an airlock, involves attaching a hose pipe to the hot and cold taps at a sink in your home and turning the cold tap on so that the water flows through the hose pipe, into the hot water tap, removing the air."

    Answered on 1st Feb 2021 - Member since Apr 2020 - report

    "it's best to call a specialist, but you can close the main water valve temporarily. only then, you can see the cause of the leak, usually the seals on the valves need to be replaced."

    Answered on 1st Feb 2021 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    CjR Pipework Building Services & Maintenance

    "Blockages or air trap in the pipework try to get a free quote off a plumber"

    Answered on 18th May 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report
    EVS Property Maintenance Limited

    "First thing to do is take the head off the hose. Make sure it’s definitely a head issue and not further down. Soke the head in Viakal."

    Answered on 8th Feb 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    All Trades Maintenance


    This sounds like air in the pipework feeding the shower. Firstly try taking the shower head off the hose and putting the hose at the lowest point i.e on the shower tray and running the shower for approx 5 mins this may cure the issue. It may be that the pipework feeding your shower is installed incorrectly allowing the pipework to draw in air. This would need a professional to take a look. The hot off the hot water cylinder should be fitted with a "Surrey flange" this ensures the supply is drawn from a point approx 10cm down into the top of the tank thus eliminating any air being drawn in.

    Regards Steve"

    Answered on 16th Feb 2021 - Member since Nov 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content