MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    House Rendering


    I have a semi-detached property and the render is coming off in places around the window. It looks sturdy elsewhere and it doesn't seem to extensive that it should all have to come off but can you patch these bits? How do you know If the render is in too bad of a condition, what do you use to patch?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Asked by Bill on 20th Oct 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    W.parham plastering

    "If the wall sounds hollow around where there’s cracks, or the render has come of, then the whole lot needs to be taken of. With trying to patch a render when it’s dried, and painted you would most probably see where the patch is. My advice would be to take it off, and do it again using mesh in the scratch coat to stop cracking."

    Answered on 21st Oct 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report

    "Yes it’s possible to patch only those bits it is also possible to render over the top of the rest each job is different though"

    Answered on 16th Dec 2020 - Member since Sep 2020 - report
    Shine Plasterers

    "No, you don’t have to take all render off. You can remove loose areas. To check if render, do this by tapping areas and if it sounds hollow it has blown and will need coming off in areas affected. Depending on how much of the render is like this do you take it off fully but if it is only small areas Have it out back to brick brush PVA into the area and use sand and cement to fill areas. Wait for it to dry but not fully, flatten with a float and use a car. Sponge and Lightly rub over all of the sand and Cement"

    Answered on 29th Nov 2020 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    Green house

    "You have to see where the patches are. Is there any more cracking, at the extended end. If not you can patch them, making them rounder, and winder without problem."

    Answered on 21st Oct 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    Djc decorators

    "You can patch , with cement render , depending on how loose the edges are."

    Answered on 21st Oct 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    M smith plastering

    "A simple hammer check would show where needs to chipped off, and patched. if the majority off it was boss, which means loose, you would benefit from getting the whole panel re done."

    Answered on 21st Oct 2020 - Member since Apr 2018 - report
    Scotia Installations Ltd


    Answered on 21st Oct 2020 - Member since Jan 2020 - report
    D Cummings

    "Yes you can patch up something cement render chop of the defective areas arm and patch then stabilise it and repaint the whole thing"

    Answered on 14th Jul 2021 - Member since Jan 2016 - report
    Gareth shearan

    "tap the render to see if its blown, 9/10 you can guarantee its a bigger job than just patching in"

    Answered on 15th Jul 2022 - Member since Jul 2022 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content