MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Gas safe engineer needed for chimney breast removal?


    Is a gas safe registered engineer required for a chimney breast removal or would it depend on different factors? If so, what might it depend on?

    Asked by Tushar on 24th May 2022
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Property Maintenance North East

    "Hello. You would normally only need a Gas Safe registered engineer if you had the gas supply to a previously installed gas fire or one currently installed within the chimney area."

    Answered on 26th May 2022 - Member since Jun 2018 - report
    Harrow Plumbing & Harrow Homes maintenance

    "No a gas saftey engineer is not required, as long as there is not a working boiler and the chimney is still in use ,a good builder will be able to do it"

    Answered on 25th May 2022 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
    J burrows plumbing & heating

    "Not for the removal of the chimney breast itself. However I’f you have a back boiler in the fire place then yes gas safe engineer to isolate & remove"

    Answered on 26th May 2022 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
    Contour Builders Ltd

    "Not for a chimney breast removal however quite often you will find a gas supply for an old fireplace which has been capped. This would need removing by a gas safe engineer for a nominal fee."

    Answered on 26th May 2022 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
    Snc plumbers

    "Generally gasmen only have knowledge of gaspipes so consult a qualified builder."

    Answered on 18th Jun 2022 - Member since Jun 2022 - report
    D tech FM

    "No unless there's is gas behind the chimney breast that requires capping. But a general builder or handyman would be sufficient. But keep in mind you may need building regs to comply with as you more than likely have to install a lintel."

    Answered on 8th Jun 2022 - Member since Oct 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content