MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Equipment Burning Out

    Electricians

    I've had to replace 5 new combi ovens. The microwave part of the oven burns out but the actual oven and grill remain in good working order. Could this be caused by faulty wiring that somehow damages the microwave but not the entire oven? I'm desperate to get to the root of this problem as I can't afford to keep replacing my combi ovens the last two of which were Kupperbusch and Hotpoint. Also worried that the wiring might be unsafe. Thank you

    Asked by Diane on 3rd Mar 2022
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Maddox Heating & Electrical

    "Hi, the faults that may occur inside a property through faulty wiring would not cause a partial failure of an appliance.
    If you have a poor electrical connection causing high resistance then you would see/smell the wiring getting hot and damaged.
    The only real thing that would cause such damage would be over voltage which is outside of your control (and if it did occur would be catastrophic for lots of your appliances).
    What I suggest may be the case is the more different functions that are integrated into one appliance the higher the chance of a component failure. Quite often with microwave it can be as simple as a resistor failure on the magnetron. This can be bought for £10-£30 normally however would be a fair bit more if someone is required to fit it.
    As to wether you wiring is safe an electrical inspection is always worth having at least every 5 years as the wiring and the building it is in change with age and new hazards/faults may arise you are not aware of.
    Be wary of anyone who simply recommends a new consumer unit because:
    A) yours is made of combustible material.
    B) existing circuits need RCD protection (and have not been altered)
    C) sockets located near doors or windows are deemed for outside use and as such require and RCD.
    D) earth bonding not being of adequate size on an old installation."

    Answered on 22nd Mar 2022 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
    I & M Property Services

    "Hi. I doubt that there is that will also be something wrong with the electrical side of things, however, if you are concerned then it should be checked. Combi ovens and ovens require free airflow at the back of the units to ensure that they do not overheat. I have had an issue where placing an air vent at the bottom of a plinth under where the ovens were solved the problem. Hope this helps and good luck."

    Answered on 18th Mar 2022 - Member since Oct 2018 - report
    OJ electrical

    "Hi Diane it sounds very much like an appliance issue contact the manufacturer and explain to them the issue and they should replace it. Hope this helps thanks, Ollie"

    Answered on 7th Mar 2022 - Member since Jan 2022 - report
    Handyman Services

    "Sorry I’ve never used one, probs best to get in touch with the manufacturer"

    Answered on 14th Mar 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report
    WK Electricals Ltd

    "First ensure the correct cable size and power of the related combi and fitted MCB are all correct. Then check for continuity, R1+R2 and insulation resistance and polarity and ensure switches are not faulty. The circuits should be separated with its own MCB, not borrowed."

    Answered on 28th Apr 2022 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
    Vk handyman

    "yes there may be a wrong connection if it is working the oven or microwave may be broken"

    Answered on 11th Apr 2022 - Member since Apr 2022 - report
    JB Spark

    "No, it's not a wiring issue has to be a design fault in the microwave"

    Answered on 27th Mar 2022 - Member since Jan 2022 - report
    Limewire Electrical & Building Services Limited

    "If you're worried the wiring may be wrong, mate get an electrician in who will test it all, don’t cut corners electrical work never has and never will be DIY"

    Answered on 7th Mar 2022 - Member since Jan 2022 - report
    Philip Gallagher

    "The electrical supply would have to be tested to be sure. However, it is unlikely to be an electrical supply issue. I would recommend that you contact the manufacturer about the issue. But also have any future equipment PAT tested to ensure it is compliant."

    Answered on 7th Mar 2022 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    House solution

    "I've had to replace 5 new combi ovens. The microwave part of the oven burns out but the actual oven and grill remain in good working order. Could this be caused by faulty wiring that somehow damages the microwave but not the entire oven? I'm desperate to get"

    Answered on 19th Mar 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started
    x

    Report Content