Electrical work

A tradesman come to fix an RCD which was tripping. In less than 3 months a whole floor sockets stopped working.

Should you get another electrician or the same person should check and fix?

Asked by Emmy on 3rd Apr 2024
Expert Trade Answers
"If it was a electrician then they need to come back. if not then you need a electrician to test your circuits to find the problem."
Answered on 3rd Apr 2024 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
"I would recommend using the same electrician as he has probably worked out how the circuit was wired and should therefore be able to find the fault quicker.

You should Ask them for the circuit test results so that you can compare them if the problem comes back again."
Answered on 3rd Apr 2024 - Member since Mar 2024 - report
"Hi Emma,
If the RCD that was tripping was protecting that circuit the sockets are on, I would definitely speak to the electrician that came to stop the RCD tripping in the 1st place. It could be related but it also could be a new fault. Only after some investigation could that be confirmed."
Answered on 3rd Apr 2024 - Member since Mar 2024 - report
"The same electrician should be able to sort that out, always give them another chnace before seeking someone else. Thanks"
Answered on 3rd Apr 2024 - Member since Mar 2024 - report
"The same person should check and fix it
As he's the one that done the job you don't want and know all the changes"
Answered on 18th Apr 2024 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
"Get the same tradesman back to fault find by testing the insulation to earth."
Answered on 19th Apr 2024 - Member since Apr 2024 - report
"I think you should first contact the tradesmen who attempted the fix. Then I think if that fails find another electrician through experience it could be something minor."
Answered on 21st Apr 2024 - Member since Apr 2024 - report
"Get another electrician, just to make sure job will be done,"
Answered on 22nd Apr 2024 - Member since Apr 2024 - report
"Hi, the same electrician would be ideal as he would be able to work out what is causing the tripping."
Answered on 24th Apr 2024 - Member since Jun 2023 - report
"Get the original electrician back. They already know the property."
Answered on 9th May 2024 - Member since Feb 2017 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year