MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    domestic and commercial heating engineers

    Heating Engineers

    Can you explain to me the differences between a commercial and domestic heating engineer? Do they need different licenses/qualifications or/and other requirements? Can one type of heating engineer do both types of work, legally speaking?

    Asked by Tushar on 9th Sep 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    A2Z Star Heating and Plumbing Solutions

    "Hi. Domestic gas engineers
    can only work in domestic properties such as houses, bungalows, flats.
    Whereas, a commercial gas engineer can work on business properties such as hospitals, hotels, shops, takeaways,etc. Hope that helps."

    Answered on 17th Feb 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Chas Stewart Plumbing & Heating Ltd

    "A domestic gas engineer can only work in domestic house hold, that is houses.
    A commercial gas engineer can work in non domestic properties like Hotels etc"

    Answered on 9th Sep 2020 - Member since Apr 2017 - report
    Marshall Heating Solutions

    "Every aspect of gas work has different qualification needed to complete work a domestic engineer can only work on pipework and meters to a certain volume and should volume of gas exceed this then a commercial engineer would be required"

    Answered on 23rd Dec 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Pure gas plumbing

    "Domestic gas engineer can’t work on commercial unless he has his ticket for commercial"

    Answered on 9th Sep 2020 - Member since Jul 2020 - report
    Coastal Heating Services

    "Domestic is houses etc whereas commercial work on larger things over 60kw for hospitals and schools etc."

    Answered on 9th Sep 2020 - Member since May 2019 - report

    "Domestic work relates to gas appliances designed for use in a domestic property, and gas pipework up to 35mm in diameter, again in domestic property. ... Commercial work categories refer to the size of pipework, appliance type and gas consumption in addition to property type."

    Answered on 9th Sep 2020 - Member since May 2020 - report
    Moortown plumbing &heating ltd

    "Wow amazed so many engineers got this one wrong a gas engineer can work on domestic or commercial gas installation it all boils down to the size of the meter, the size of the pipe work and the amount of gas within the installation, yes there are domestic and commercial engineers but they should know what installation they can work on, Depending on a few factors(or they should know)"

    Answered on 13th Aug 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content