MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Do you need to be certified to place a cooker hood (external) and/or cooker hobs?

    Kitchen Fitters

    Do you need certified professionals to either replace a cooker hood (external) and/or cooker hobs?

    Asked by Joe on 25th Nov 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    General Handyman Services Ltd

    "For cooler hood don’t need certificate, for replacing cooker hobs yes need certificate"

    Answered on 25th Nov 2021 - Member since Nov 2021 - report
    C&A Rombuild

    "No, as long as the cooker/hob has a regular plug-in socket.
    In some cases, they come without a plug and in this case you an electrician will need to connect the wires and plugin ."

    Answered on 30th Nov 2021 - Member since Nov 2021 - report
    Lyall property services

    "If your hob or extractor has a plug on the end then anyone can install it
    If however, they need to be hard-wired into a circuit then this becomes a fixed appliance and comes under that remit. This means a qualified electrician who Is licensed with either NAPIT, NICEIC or Elecsa to issue certificates had to do the installation. This means a suite of tests will be conducted in the circuit to prove it's safe and the safety systems are fully operable. If you don’t have the minor works certificate and something goes wrong the insurance company will simply cancel your claim.
    The purpose is to ensure you're safe and covered in case of a fault"

    Answered on 25th Nov 2021 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    Forestviews Property Services

    "If you’re replacing like for like there’s no new circuits involved you don’t need a certificate"

    Answered on 25th Nov 2021 - Member since Sep 2019 - report

    "I will professionally say yes as you can not play with fire. There is Gas or Electric to connect so please safety 1st before saving money"

    Answered on 25th Nov 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Allan Services

    "You don't need to be certified if you're doing it for yourself but if something happens and you don't have a certificate on your installing then you won't be covered by insurance home. So if a customer like you to install a cooker and your telling you can do that But you're not certified then they know they have to find someone to test and give a certificate. But is best for customers not to. Just in writing to have evidence in case something happens"

    Answered on 25th Nov 2021 - Member since Oct 2021 - report
    Isla Design & Build

    "No you don’t, although if it’s gas you would require a gas engineer."

    Answered on 26th Nov 2021 - Member since Apr 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content