MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Do I need to take special steps if electrical equipment is close to asbestos?


    I believe there might be asbestos in or close to some electrical equipment that I want to work on. Do I need to take any specific steps to deal with this properly? Should I hire a professional electrician?

    Asked by Everson on 19th May 2022
    Share this question
    Zhenith electrical

    "Yes you will need to get specialist asbestos person to access and remove it if you would like some work done around that area."

    Answered on 19th May 2022 - Member since Jan 2022 - report
    Gill electrical

    "Get it tested and removed before any work and yes hire electrician"

    Answered on 19th May 2022 - Member since Oct 2017 - report
    Graeme Craw

    "As long as the suspected asbestos is not damaged it should be fine, if it is moved or interfered with you need to get a specialist company to survey the area."

    Answered on 19th May 2022 - Member since Apr 2022 - report
    WK Electricals Ltd

    "If you suspect asbestos its best to get in touch with specialist asbestos company or get advice from citizens advice or your local council with the electrician who knows which part of the job may involve disturbance to any asbestos which may be present.
    Asbestos is dangerous once disturbed or drilled through"

    Answered on 1st Jul 2022 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
    Kostantinos Thanasis

    I hope you are OK.
    Dealing with asbestos you need someone expert on it. Someone that has category B.
    Category A is to find out if something has asbestos or not. Category B is about dealing with asbestos.
    In any case if you are not sure just don't touch it and especially don't break it.
    I hoped I helped you.
    Have a good day.

    Answered on 25th May 2022 - Member since May 2022 - report
    D tech FM

    "yes you do unless you don't value your property. A professional electrician is well trained on identifying issues."

    Answered on 15th Jun 2022 - Member since Oct 2021 - report
    HarryG Electrical Installation Ltd

    "Hi there, precautions must be taken not to disturb the asbestos, like hammering, drilling, cutting, or making the asbestos particles airborne.

    Yes, should get advice from a registered asbestos company.


    Answered on 19th May 2022 - Member since Jan 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content