Do Electric Cookers need Electricians to be connected/disconnected?

I am moving home soon and will be brining my electric cooker to the new house.
Do I need a qualified electrician to disconnect in my old house and reconnect the cooker in the new house, or would I be able to do this myself?

Asked by Carherine on 1st Mar 2019
Expert Trade Answers
Best Answer
Technically, you won’t need an electrician for this – it should be quite straightforward to connect/disconnect the cooker yourself. If you are aware of the isolation procedure to disconnect properly, then you should be fine.
However, if are unfamiliar with this type of task or find it problematic or confusing to conduct this yourself, then I would sincerely advise hiring an electrician – to ensure that cooker is being handled safely and correctly.
Do not risk your safety if you are unsure of the process. "
Answered on 1st Mar 2019 - Member since Mar 2019 - report
"This type of job should be undertaken by a qualified Electrician. It is important to ensure that the old property is left in an electrically safe state, especially due to the level of current associated with electric ovens. Additionally, a qualified electrician should re-connect the over at the new property for similar reasons and also to ensure that the electrical installation in the new property is capable of safely accomodating the new oven (it may be a much more powerful oven than the one previously installed). the circuit would need to be professionally tested and checked before connecting the oven as well as tested after it's connected to ensure everything is electrically safe. These checks and tests require specialist equipment (test meters) and adequate skills to interpret the results the test meters produce. It is unlikely that the householder will have either the equipment, the knowledge or the relevant qualifications and certifications to carry out these steps in accordance with stipulated UK BS7671 wiring regulations.
Techsmart Electrical Ltd"
Answered on 9th May 2019 - Member since Feb 2018 - report
"So there is no requirement to be a qualified/registered electrician to install an electric Oven, Hob or Cooker. That been said as an electrician myself l would advise you always to use an electrician to do such work, as mention in previous answers to this question there are other factors that have to be taking into account for the installation of any cooker/oven appliance to ensure it's connected safely and properly. If your not a competent person who has been trained in both safe isolation and installation l would advise you to call an electrician to do the job in hand and avoid any accidents or worse someone getting seriously hurt."
Answered on 27th Apr 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
"you should be fine if you isolate the circuit that the fuse board whilst you disconnect, I advise taking a picture of the connections before you disconnect to remind you when you come back to re connecting. Remember to isolate the cooker when Re installing in new home."
Answered on 2nd May 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report

Yes you will need an approved electrician to connect it, test it and certify the work ,Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate."
Answered on 18th Jul 2019 - Member since Jul 2019 - report
"From an electricians perspective you should always use a qualified electrician based on several factors

1 is the cable running to the cooker switch and outlet point large enough to handle the Amps repaired
2 does the consumer unit have the correct circuit breaker always use a professional to ensure safety regs are being adhered to"
Answered on 10th Apr 2019 - Member since Oct 2017 - report
"Any circuit over 30A must be connected by a qualified electrician. Your cooker most certainly if electric will exceed this rating.
Luke B"
Answered on 10th Apr 2019 - Member since Apr 2018 - report
"I would say yes as you need to prove theres a valid earth on the cooker.
Its a very large piece of metal to become live and you become earth if not done properly, so for safety and piece of mind i would say yes."
Answered on 19th May 2019 - Member since May 2019 - report
"Always think about safety first, electric work should be carried out by a professional qualified electrician and not by any homeowner as it carries high voltage.

thank you"
Answered on 14th May 2019 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
"You should use a qualified electrician to reconnect the cooker, a couple of safety tests are required to prove compliance to the regulations."
Answered on 19th May 2019 - Member since May 2019 - report
"You can do this yourself. You don’t need an electrician. Just put Brown cable in L, Blue in N and yellow/green in E. If you want the circuit tested to make sure it’s all ok then I would advise an electrican for the job."
Answered on 1st May 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
"If you are competent and understand what you are doing, it’s not a difficult job. But the terminals must be as tight as you can get them and all the strands clamped down by the screws."
Answered on 20th May 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
"Yes you will need a qualified Electrician. The circuit needs to be isolated then tested to disconnect and reconnect cooker. It is extremely dangerous if this procedure is not done correctly."
Answered on 1st Apr 2019 - Member since Feb 2019 - report
"I would advise getting a qualified electrician, it's better to be safe."
Answered on 21st May 2019 - Member since Mar 2018 - report
"I would strongly recommend a qualified electrician to carry out the work and provide a minor work certificate."
Answered on 15th Apr 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
Personally I would have an Electrician carry out this work to make sure it has correct cable size for rating of oven. Let me know if I can help.

Many Thanks
SR Installations"
Answered on 13th Apr 2019 - Member since Nov 2018 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year