MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Ask a Tradesman

    Disconnecting/connecting electric cooker


    I have electric range which is already in situ, am getting new one next week as the cable is already there can I isolate the item disconnect and connect new appliance?

    Asked by Susan on 18th Jul 2020
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Eden electrical

    "Yes you can , be sure to test for voltage .. make sure it's dead ... And if your not sure ... Be sure to get an electrician .. .."

    Answered on 22nd Jul 2020 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    O’Prey Electrical UK

    "Hi there. Yes this can be done. However I would recommend that you employ a qualified electrician."

    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    Gil electrical Solutions Limited

    "Depends if the new one is the same module as the old one then you can Isolate and use the same cable. An electric range cooker, you'll need at least a 32 amp outlet to connect electric cookers consuming more than 3KW (that's most range cookers which I assume you already know ) and a 6mm cable. Induction models use more electricity, so a 10mm size cable and a 45 amp breaker will be required."

    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    Jb handyman

    "For the price of a cable ( a few quid) i would just replace the old cable to be safe, its hard to see if a cable has been overloaded by the last appliance unless its dark and brittle. Especially if the last appliance blew an element, i would replace the cable"

    Answered on 20th Jul 2020 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    BLF Property Maintenance

    "Hi Susan

    This should be fine. However, you would need to check that the rating of the appliances were the same or very similar. The condition of the cable should also be checked.


    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    Hackwood Electrical

    "if you feel confident in doing it sure but I'd recommend that you have an electrician inspect and test the circuit to check over connections and the size and condition of the existing cable and to connect up the new cooker... best to be safe than sorry"

    Answered on 22nd Jul 2020 - Member since Oct 2019 - report
    MAG Electrical Services Ltd

    "This is all about competence. The fact you are asking this question does automatically make me think you should get someone in.

    But the question really is do you have the knowledge and skill to do it safely. Can you safely isolate and test it to make sure?
    Can you do a earth loop test to make sure it is a healthy reading (below the permitted resistance)
    Then you will need the experience to be able to make sure the terminations are a) in the correct terminals and b) are not loose in any way.
    Additionally the circuit should be correctly fused in relation to the cable, there should be an RCD and earth bonding to gas and water should be in place."

    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
    Weblight Electrical Projects ltd

    "No. You need qualified electrician to connect it and give you electrical minor work certificate. If you do it your self and something hapend then you are not covered by the insurance."

    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since Dec 2019 - report
    BEC Ltd

    "You would be safer getting an electrician to do it for £60.00"

    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since May 2020 - report
    Rhys Jones Electrican/Trydanwr

    "Yes it’s possible , but you will need a qualified electrican to carry out for you"

    Answered on 19th Jul 2020 - Member since Jul 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content