MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Converting Conservatory to Extension with Downstairs Toilet


    We have a conservatory with tiled floors and polycarbonate roof. Can we convert that into an extension, that could also house a small wet room/toilet? If so, what are the steps we need to take (hire an architect? get planning permission)? Completely clueless about possibilities and what we need to do to get this happening.

    Asked by Hana on 27th Oct 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Fenhomes property repairs and maintenance.

    "It all depends on the depth of your footings that were placed in for the original conservatory, and also would need to get an invoice with building control, and an architect to draw up plans for the builder you use, and to assess the planning permission which you would have to submit to your local council for approval and also would have to change drains to allow a wet room."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
    Ian Ryall Building and Maintenance

    "The possibilities of an extension is based on the footings that you have already it would require a footing inspection in several places to see whether they are correct but your best asking building control in your area šŸ‘ŒšŸ‘"

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
    SRM Stone

    "Hi Hana, Iā€™d say the best thing to do is speak to an architect and they will be able to advise you as to what needs to happen."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Oct 2021 - report
    NSD Building Services

    "You will need to go through your local building control; an Architect can be expensive; maybe find someone who draws plans."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Dec 2016 - report

    "Hello you don't need planning permission if your build is 3m or less and less than 4m high as this will come under a permitted build, however, you will need building regs and a building inspector, you will also need an architect plan as this will ensure your build is safe and building regs submitted hope this helps."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Mar 2020 - report
    MTM builders Oxford ltd

    "Hi I am martin so yes your first step to get architect to do drawings and see if you under permitted development so you might not need planning permission but architect will answer that then get engineers calculations pay local council building control and finding yourself a builder myself I would say you will have to remove conservatory completely and start again most times it is cheaper to build from new and better quality hope that helps if you would like more help I would be more than happy"

    Answered on 29th Oct 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    nsc nscbrickwork

    "First step get in touch with planning explain to them what you have and what you want to do. Then take it from there."

    Answered on 30th Oct 2021 - Member since Jun 2020 - report
    James Dewar property services

    "Does the conservatory have brick and block walls on any of the sides?"

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Dafydd Williams

    "You shouldn't need any building control. You can put on a new warm roof on the conservatory and change out the panes of glass to obscure where you want the toilet area to be fitted. The easiest option for the waste would be a macerator that can pump all waste through a smaller pipe that can be connected to the sewers."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
    GB Builders

    "Hi, you would need to find out if your footings are the right depths. Need to speak to a building inspector. Regards, Gary."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report
    Deeside Home Improvements

    "If there are drains involved you'll need to get a warrant, and possibly get an architect involved.
    Eg-are the foundation deep enough to take the weight of the new building.
    Hope this helps.
    Maurice McCready."

    Answered on 28th Oct 2021 - Member since Jun 2020 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content