Can I install multiple switches for the same lights within one room?

I would like to install more switches at two different doorways within the same large room. Ideally both switches could be used independently of each other without any conflict.

Is it feasible for me to install the additional switch and make adjustments by myself or is this more for a professional electrician to complete?

In either case, is it likely that I will need to repaint or plaster around the switches afterwards?

Any advice on this project would be great!

Asked by Patrick on 1st Jul 2019
Expert Trade Answers
You will need an electrician to do this as you will altering the circuit and 2 way switching is very complicated unless you know what you are doing. Thanks."
Answered on 1st Jul 2019 - Member since Feb 2019 - report
"Yes you can get two way light switches to switch on from different locations.
In regards to the painting and decorating it all depends if you want it wired on the surface (trunking) or chased in the walls."
Answered on 1st Jul 2019 - Member since Jan 2019 - report
"Yes it is possible to have multiple switching in the same room."
Answered on 1st Jul 2019 - Member since Jun 2019 - report
"To install 2 way switching in the room, you will need to install a 3 core and earth cable from the existing switch to the new position,better installed by an electrician,would also require plastering to make a permanent job."
Answered on 1st Jul 2019 - Member since Jun 2019 - report
"You can add as many light switches as necessary to cover all doorways etc.
You would need to get an qualified electrician in as the switches need wiring in a way that they would all work independently for the light fitting."
Answered on 1st Jul 2019 - Member since Sep 2016 - report
"Yes, you will need to run cables between switches though so would require either chasing into the wall or use surface mount trunking"
Answered on 3rd Jul 2019 - Member since May 2019 - report
"I would employ a professional to do it,unless you feel that you are competent enough to do it yourself. The fact you are asking tellls me your not."
Answered on 20th May 2020 - Member since Apr 2020 - report
"It is possible to operate a light from multiple switches.There are a few things to consider first;

1) Location of the switches, stud wall or solid wall?
This will give an idea of the route to take and remedial costs (putting the wall right). You could use surface trunking but it might not be pleasing to the eyes.
2) Installation process, as this seem to be more than just a two way switching setup
4) Testing and certification, this type of job does need a Minor Works Certificate.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself put you job on here with info and images including approximate length of wire run and routing if you know this and you will receive a quote."
Answered on 4th Jul 2019 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
"In a word yes! With 2 way and intermediate switching"
Answered on 9th Aug 2019 - Member since Jan 2019 - report

It is feasible and I would recommend that you use an electrician to do this as 2 way switching could be complicated for you plus it will need to be tested."
Answered on 18th Jul 2019 - Member since Jul 2019 - report
A lot of electricians were giving good advice on your question
Of course, you can add more switches on your property
But what you are asking means you are not qualified to do this job on your own and the best idea is looking for a local electrician or handyman.
Answered on 18th Aug 2019 - Member since Aug 2019 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year