MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Building Inspection advice


    How can I go about requesting a building inspection? What is involved in this?

    Asked by Adam on 16th Feb 2022
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    BHM Extensions Ltd

    "You will need to appoint either a council building control inspector or private inspector (recommended) to carry out an inspection in your project from start to finish. Inspections will be done in various phases of the project e.g. foundations, cavity walls, structure, roof etc...

    You need to submit your drawings to the inspection company who will assess your plans and quote you for the inspection. It is an easy and straightforward process.

    Please note appointing a Building control inspector is mandatory. They will issue you a completion certificate towards the end of the project which will be sent to the council if you ever need to sell your property. hope this helps!"

    Answered on 16th Feb 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report
    A p bricklayer

    "You would need to call the building control officer from the local authority or an independent company that works with building control they will advise you on your project when required telling you what they require and they will check at various stages of your project"

    Answered on 16th Feb 2022 - Member since Dec 2021 - report
    Project Magnate Consulting

    "Building Inspections are carried out by the building control officer, either through the council through the building control department or by appointing one privately, also known as an independent building control officer.

    They perform exactly the same role, but the cost varies significantly. The council's route is cheaper, while the private one cost you more. Many believe the timing with the council may be slower than the private ones. This may not always be the case. My preference is the council one, because they have drawn from scratch, rather than been sent the drawings by an independent person.

    Professionally, they are all savvy to deliver their jobs. As a building contractor, I have used both services and the difference is nominal. You book them in, they turn up to inspect development phases of construction works and a completion certificate is issued upon their confirmation of compliance with a good job done."

    Answered on 17th Feb 2022 - Member since Jan 2021 - report
    Rbb refurbishments

    "The process usually is contacting building control either via local authorities or a private company

    In our experience private companies are the way forward"

    Answered on 21st Mar 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    Mr.Wint Building Construction

    "someone who has a lot of experience, with new developing buildings and maybe some oldies, so! Sometimes the qualification, doesn't help the outcomes"

    Answered on 19th Feb 2022 - Member since Nov 2019 - report

    "You can contact a local or National Independent Building Control Practice to book an appointment or go through your local authority Building Control Department"

    Answered on 20th Feb 2022 - Member since Feb 2022 - report
    Brunel building solutions ltd

    "Just contact your local authorities they have a department for this or arrange independent building inspection costs range for a basic inspection from about £250+"

    Answered on 16th Feb 2022 - Member since Nov 2020 - report
    CN services

    "Ring up your local council or visit the website where you can obtain forms, if unsure ring them and ask for the planning department they will guide you through it"

    Answered on 7th Mar 2022 - Member since Mar 2022 - report

    "Hi Building inspection would normally be carried out by the council in order to approve"

    Answered on 17th Feb 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    Jr services

    "You can contact either the official council building inspection teams. Or use certified privately inspection agencies."

    Answered on 14th Mar 2022 - Member since Mar 2022 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content