MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Best paint for different jobs

    Painters & Decorators

    How can I best tell what type of paint I should use for any given job? What types of paint are most suitable in what cases?

    Asked by Adam on 29th Jan 2021
    Share this question

    Best Answer

    Brother of the Brush

    "Most paints will explain on the tin what they should be used for and what surfaces ie satin/gloss for woodwork or metals. There are interior and exterior paints but all paints should advertise and explain what materials they should be used on if in any doubt ask a member of staff who works in the store you're buying from."

    Answered on 7th Mar 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
    Be Safe Property Maintenance ltd

    "Internal walls and ceilings use vinyl Matt or vinyl silk depending on what finish you want
    Internal glosswork use a good water based gloss something like Dulux trade it costs more but is worth the extra
    External paint work use a non water based product which takes longer to dry but gives a better finish and lasts longer"

    Answered on 23rd Mar 2021 - Member since Jun 2019 - report
    Abermaw Decorating Ltd

    "Woodwork: primer, undercoat, topcoat (gloss, satinwood, eggshell)

    Walls/ceilings (interior): emulsion - (matt, silk, eggshell)

    Walls (exterior): masonry paint

    Hope this helps!"

    Answered on 29th Jan 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    Pataki Peter


    Please have a look around the Dulux product range


    Answered on 13th Apr 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    Burnham's decorators

    "Hi there, if you are wanting to paint the woodwork then use a water-based acrylic primer then a noil based primer and for walls and ceilings use emulsion, matt, silk etc."

    Answered on 4th Mar 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report

    "All paint states on tin whether it's for walls or wood, interior or exterior paint. I always use gloss paint for woodwork (ie skirting and doors ) Emulsion paint for interior walls and ceilings, depending on if you're after a silky finish I would recommend a silk emulation and a matt emulsion for a flatter finish.
    I always recommend a specialist bathroom and kitchen paint when painting these rooms. I always spend the extra money on specialist paint, as I know it will withstand the heat and condensation produced in these rooms and you can wash the walls down whenever needed without damaging the paint.
    I always tell clients, if you're in a shop and are unsure which is the right paint, they should ask a member of staff, if a shop stocks paint, all members of staff should be able to help and explain which product is best for what job.
    A good tip I like to give people, - if your wanting paint for a small job, and not picky about what colour, go to your local DIY shop and ask if they have any surplus (returned/dented) stock as they will usually let you have these for very little money and in some cases no money at all. This is a great tip for people on low incomes who want to revamp there home"

    Answered on 18th Mar 2021 - Member since Feb 2021 - report
    Au Faix

    "The tin will explain the best uses for the paint but if you need advice just pop into your local paint shop and they will guide you"

    Answered on 4th May 2021 - Member since Apr 2021 - report
    Ace1 renovations

    "Matt and silk emulsion are usually for walls and ceilings undercoat gloss satin wood and eggshell usually for woodwork and metal some people also use varnish on doors and doorframes and skirtings"

    Answered on 10th Nov 2021 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    T@P decorating

    "There are different types of paint for different jobs ie a bathroom pain would be different than maybe a living room paint but all it’s purposes will be on the tin"

    Answered on 18th Apr 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    P&S Property Maintenance

    "The best paint for the job/ room/ surface
    Is the correct paint for the job. Each brand has specific formulas ( thickness, durability, finish, water-resistant properties) its always stated on the tin.
    Dulux & Johnstone's are the best in my opinion with Leyland very closely behind.
    All offer a huge range if you go into your local decorator centre and tell them what room (bathroom, bedroom)and what finish you require (shinny, dull)
    They will tell you what product to use.
    It is more expensive to use bathroom paint in a bathroom rather than using bedroom paint in a bathroom but there's a reason for it"

    Answered on 5th Jun 2021 - Member since Jan 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content