Garage Conversion Cost
This guide will cover everything you need to know about the cost of a garage conversion.
There will come a time in many people’s lives where they will need extra space in their homes. Moving to a new home is a very expensive process that can cause stress. You can add extra space to your home by fitting a garage conversion. Many home owners have garages attached or next to their homes, often going unused.
A garage conversion will not only give you extra space in your home to create another bedroom, but a garage conversion can also add value to your home. It could add between 10-20%. Many people are turning their unused garages into extra space, creating a new bedroom, kitchen or bathroom, or all three, depending on the size of your garage.
A standard garage conversion will cost between £5,000 and £7,000 but could cost less or more depending on the size, complexity and plan for your garage conversion. It will only take a week to complete a basic garage conversion, proving to be the easiest way to add space to your home without having to spend a lot of time, effort and money.
It’s not recommended to carry out a garage conversion yourself as you could end up with extra costs if you made a mistake. My Job Quote will compare hundreds of trusted tradespeople, giving you up to 3 quotes from professionals in your local area. They will have experience and knowledge to save on the cost of your garage conversion cost.
Garage Conversion Costs
|Job Description||Duration||Material Cost||Labour Cost|
|Standard garage conversion||7 days||£5,000-£7,000||£150-£250 per day per labourer|
All of the above costs and durations are averages only and will vary depending upon location, complexity of job, etc.
Things to Consider With A Garage Conversion
There are many things to consider with garage conversion costs. You will have to factor in extra costs for your garage conversion if you will be turning it into a kitchen or bathroom and you will need to pay to install utilities such as electricity, gas and water.
If you’re turning your garage into a bedroom or living room, you will only have to factor in a few utility installation costs. However, if you plan to turn your garage conversion into a brand-new bathroom or kitchen, then plumbing and gas will need to be installed.
If you’re going to spend a lot of money on your high-end garage conversion, you may need to work with an architect to make the most of the space. You will need to factor in surveying fees and architect fees in the cost of garage conversions.
If your garage is already attached to your house, it will be easier to install your garage conversion by knocking down the interior wall. It will be more difficult for a garage conversion if the garage is detached from the house, however, this might also give you more opportunity to create a new space.
Doing it Yourself
It’s not advised to build a garage conversion yourself. We recommend getting 3 quotes from professional builders to get the best deal for the price of your garage conversion. You must apply for approval under the Building Regulations before work starts on your garage conversion. The submission of a Building Notice should solve this.
It is a lot of work to carry out a garage conversion yourself. If you want to make it into a kitchen or bathroom, you will need to factor in installing utilities such as gas, electric and water. This will add to the price of a garage conversion, and if you’re unsure what you’re doing, you could end up spending a lot more than you would if you hired a professional.
You should get quotes from up to 3 professional builders to get the best price for your garage conversion. They will know exactly what they are doing from experience of carrying out hundreds of garage conversions. Use a garage conversion cost calculator to factor in an average cost whilst you plan your conversion.
Hiring a Builder Checklist
- If your garage is already attached to your house, it will be easier to install your garage conversion by knocking down the interior wall.
- If the garage is a separate building and you plan to extend it, you will need planning permission.
- It will only take a week to complete a basic garage conversion.
- If you want to make your garage conversion into a kitchen or bathroom space, you will need to factor in the cost of installing utilities such as gas, electric and water.
- A basic garage conversion should cost between £5000-£7000.
- Garage conversions are proven to add value to your home if you create space for an extra bedroom or living space.
- Factor in extra costs for utilities such as gas, electric and water if you’re going to be adding a room to your extra space such as a garage or bathroom.
Hiring a Tradesman Checklist
- Always get at least 2 quotes before hiring.
- Never pay the full amount upfront.
- Get the quote in writing.
- For any payment you make, always get a receipt.
- On more expensive jobs, ask for references.
- Check if the tradesman is a member of any trades associations.
- Make sure the tradesman has public liability insurance.