Garage Conversion Cost
This guide will cover everything you need to know about the cost of a garage conversion.
Garage Conversion Costs
Things to Consider With A Garage Conversion
There are many things to consider with garage conversion costs. You will have to factor in extra costs for your garage conversion if you will be turning it into a kitchen or bathroom and you will need to pay to install utilities such as electricity, gas and water.
If you’re turning your garage into a bedroom or living room, you will only have to factor in a few utility installation costs. However, if you plan to turn your garage conversion into a brand-new bathroom or kitchen, then plumbing and gas will need to be installed.
If you’re going to spend a lot of money on your high-end garage conversion, you may need to work with an architect to make the most of the space. You will need to factor in surveying fees and architect fees in the cost of garage conversions.
If your garage is already attached to your house, it will be easier to install your garage conversion by knocking down the interior wall. It will be more difficult for a garage conversion if the garage is detached from the house, however, this might also give you more opportunity to create a new space.
Doing it Yourself
It’s not advised to build a garage conversion yourself. We recommend getting 3 quotes from professional builders to get the best deal for the price of your garage conversion. You must apply for approval under the Building Regulations before work starts on your garage conversion. The submission of a Building Notice should solve this.
It is a lot of work to carry out a garage conversion yourself. If you want to make it into a kitchen or bathroom, you will need to factor in installing utilities such as gas, electric and water. This will add to the price of a garage conversion, and if you’re unsure what you’re doing, you could end up spending a lot more than you would if you hired a professional.
You should get quotes from up to 3 professional builders to get the best price for your garage conversion. They will know exactly what they are doing from experience of carrying out hundreds of garage conversions. Use a garage conversion cost calculator to factor in an average cost whilst you plan your conversion.
Hiring a Builder Checklist
- If your garage is already attached to your house, it will be easier to install your garage conversion by knocking down the interior wall.
- If the garage is a separate building and you plan to extend it, you will need planning permission.
- It will only take a week to complete a basic garage conversion.
- If you want to make your garage conversion into a kitchen or bathroom space, you will need to factor in the cost of installing utilities such as gas, electric and water.
- A basic garage conversion should cost between £5000-£7000.
- Garage conversions are proven to add value to your home if you create space for an extra bedroom or living space.
- Factor in extra costs for utilities such as gas, electric and water if you’re going to be adding a room to your extra space such as a garage or bathroom.
Hiring a Tradesman Checklist
- Always get at least 2 quotes before hiring.
- Never pay the full amount upfront.
- Get the quote in writing.
- For any payment you make, always get a receipt.
- On more expensive jobs, ask for references.
- Check if the tradesman is a member of any trades associations.
- Make sure the tradesman has public liability insurance.
Do you need planning permission to turn a garage into a room?
Do garage conversions add value to your home?
How much will a garage conversion cost?
Can I carry out a garage conversion myself?
Requirements include 1.5 meters pitched roof extension to the rear of the property to accommodate 3 meters bi-fold doors. This also includes the removal of two internal walls to open up the ground floor of the property.
Submitted by Craig
Build a one storey kitchen extension of 6 meters by 5 meters. Partly close existing archway and build partitions to encase the existing kitchen into an ensuite. Plans available to view and discuss further.
Submitted by Josephine
How much would a side extension cost to allow a toilet and utility room in it.
Submitted by Tracy
REAR EXTENSION AND FRONT PORCH - Take down existing conservatory structure and make kitchen/dinning room extension with skylight. Additionally, to install preferred new kitchen. - Refurbish existing kitchen to convert into small room with W/C downstairs. - Lay preferred (tiles) with under floor...
Submitted by Jnet
Extension to make a 3 bedroom house into 4 bedroom house possibly building over the garage and extending the kitchen.