MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    What steps are needed to do building work close to a sewer/drain?


    Hi there, I am planning to have some building works performed on my property soon. What steps or/and applications may be needed should it run over or close to a sewer/drain? Are any specific approvals needed, might it depend on the case, and if so how would I know? Thank you for your time.

    Asked by Lou on 10th Feb 2022
    Share this question

    Best Answer


    "Hi, providing the work is carried out with access the the drains, in case in in future access is needed, otherwise you will have to lift and then replace"

    Answered on 14th Feb 2022 - Member since Aug 2021 - report
    A p bricklayer

    "You would need permission from the water company to bridge over their drains as they own the pipes"

    Answered on 16th Feb 2022 - Member since Dec 2021 - report
    A.F. Complete Building

    "You need to do your homework for building regs foundation must be lower than drain and within 3m ask Wessex water first."

    Answered on 10th Feb 2022 - Member since Jul 2021 - report
    Fenhomes property repairs and maintenance.

    "Your surveyor and building inspector should advise you on this as it all depends on how deep and how close you are going to the drain or building over said drain all drain plans are available from your local council /townhall"

    Answered on 16th Feb 2022 - Member since Sep 2021 - report
    Mr.Wint Building Construction

    "The first thing you need to do is to find out if it is an underground layout by the environment control, so! whenever you have come across this question mark of the exitance get in touch with the public environment control for the community"

    Answered on 19th Feb 2022 - Member since Nov 2019 - report
    Pt brickwork

    "If any pipes run through footings. Lintels should be placed over existing pipes"

    Answered on 10th Feb 2022 - Member since Jan 2022 - report
    DDLK Construction Ltd

    "You can build around or over a sewer/drain if it is on your property (private property), otherwise, permission would need to be sought from the local planning authority."

    Answered on 23rd Mar 2022 - Member since Mar 2022 - report
    AliRay construction

    "It's hard to answer without seeing it. You can bridge over the drain with lintels"

    Answered on 16th Apr 2022 - Member since Jul 2019 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content