MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Surface Water Issue

    Drainage Specialists

    Since my neighbour had artificial grass installed I seem to be getting damp patches on my property which are now showing on the external wall, and some puddles at the boundary between our gardens.
    I've been in the house for seventeen years, the artificial grass was installed two years ago and the problems started showing at the turn of this year.
    The buildings are on a slope with our house lower than next door.
    I don't think there was any drainage installed with the artificial grass and I think we're getting much more run off than previously.
    At the front of the house I dug down to the water in / out and there was no sign of leakage.
    The damps is at both front and back, as is the artificial turf.
    I'm trying to find out which trade would be able to diagnose this so I can employ someone to investigate and provide professional advice on what's causing the damp areas / puddles.

    Asked by Brian on 1st Oct 2021
    Share this question
    KJF Plumbing

    "Drainage engineer would be required, I do all drainage related problems and repairs."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since Mar 2021 - report
    Swift Groundworks

    "Good morning, from the information you've provided I'm guessing that the issue is down to the fact that when installing the astroturf the ground would have first been compacted before laying the turf, so any water that would normally soak away in your neighbours garden is now running off and down into your garden. A land drain. (Perforated pipe and gravel) being installed to allow surface water to be directed into a soakaway or exiting drain should resolve this issue. Hope this helps. Cheers, Daz @ swift groundworks."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
    Coast2Coast Complete Property Services

    "The trade I would advise would be damp and drainage - which we cover.
    It would seem that dependent on the over site of which the artificial grass is laid on it has become compacted. Artificial grass allows water through but if the material it is laid on becomes compacted it will allow the water to flow to the nearest point of exit - which because you are below would be you unfortunately.
    There are many options to solve this but would solely depend on the materials used."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since May 2021 - report
    TT Drainage and Plumbing Services Ltd

    "By the sounds of it you will need a CCTV on your drain line to see where your drain lines go to, once you know the condition of your drain lines and have a plan of them you can then work out the best course of action to take to be able to get rid of the surface water.
    TT Drainage."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since May 2019 - report
    Boss Builders

    "Hi, I would be very surprised if it was down to the artificial grass as the grass has small perforations to release the water. if this problem carries on I would consider putting acro drains alongside the house, or even dig down for a soakaway, hope this helps, many thanks."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since Dec 2016 - report
    Kassia Drains

    "I assume they have put plastic sheeting instead of fabric membrane. This is why when it rains it more then likely holds the rain water.

    Or there is a lot of clay underground."

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since Dec 2020 - report
    PJK Water Services

    "From the information you have provided it sounds like you require aco drainage to be installed to carry any rainwater or groundwater away from your property (generally to a natural soakaway or storm drain.) The trade you require would be either groundworks or a drainage specialist. I hope this reply to your question helps. You could even go as far as contacting your home insurance Insurance company or your water supply provider to investigate further and maybe get them to contact your neighbour and explain the issue as it sounds like the work they have had done has had a negative impact on your property that could cause damp or even subsidence to your property leading to very expensive repairs. In short, the sooner you get this resolved the better because water can cause untold damage. Hope my information helps.
    All the best. Paul. PJK Water Services"

    Answered on 18th Oct 2021 - Member since Oct 2021 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content