MyJobQuote Logomyjobquote
  • Post a Job
  • Trade Signup
  • Ask a Trade
  • Cost Guides
  • About
  • Login
  • Over 1 million homeowners and over 30,000 tradespeople
    use MyJobQuote nationwide each year

    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade
    Post a Job or Sign up as a trade

    Ask a Tradesman

    Spalling Warning Signs


    We are looking at houses and a couple in the home reports mention spalling brickwork. Is there anyway when we view a property to know how bad/deep the damage goes? Are there any warning signs we should look for?
    For example, one today had a section about 1m by 4m that had three bricks that were missing their fronts. Should we just assume it would be a complete replacement job?
    Can this affect the structural integrity of the house as well?
    Thank you!

    Asked by Isabelle on 13th Apr 2021
    Share this question
    Homefixx Builders

    "Hi please see this

    In construction 'spalling' refers to the flaking, cracking, peeling, crumbling or chipping of stone or bricks, particularly where areas of the surface are said to have blown. ... This can occur as a result of water penetration, freezing, heating (such as during a fire) or by mechanical processes."

    Answered on 15th Apr 2021 - Member since Mar 2018 - report

    Ask a Trade

    Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.

    Ask your Question

    Related questions

    Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?

    get started

    Report Content