Soakaway in lawn

I have an old soakaway in my garden it is blocked and leaking out of the drain by the back door , is there any way of either sucking it out or going in the other way .

Asked by Verina on 24th Aug 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"First thing to do is try and unblock it with high pressure jetting at the inlet end of the pipework feeding the soakaway.

If some of the debris and silts can be removed then it maybe possible to get it flowing and then check with a camera.

Soakaway are only designed to no last between 8 & 12 years. Many last alot more than that some pushing thirty five years.

But if jetting fails and it can't be cleared then new pipework and soakaway will be required.

A perc test will also need to be done to make sure the ground is capable of taking the rain water. A roof surface area calculation will also be needed to determine the size of the soakaway needed."
Answered on 16th Oct 2023 - Member since Jul 2023 - report
"Put a additional soakaway In or dig it out and replace it this is why when i do 1 I put a liner down."
Answered on 3rd Jan 2024 - Member since Jun 2021 - report
"Yes it can be sucked out and removed if no longer in use"
Answered on 28th Nov 2023 - Member since Nov 2023 - report
"Yes we can divert it for you into anorther part of the garden sucking it out is not a option do you want me to check this out for you"
Answered on 24th Aug 2023 - Member since Aug 2023 - report
"Hi, there is no way of sucking out a soakaway, you can try a high pressure pressure from the pipe near the house to see if it is just blocked. If the soakaway is exhausted meaning it can’t dissipate anymore water then you have to install a new soakaway but you may need to carry out some percolation tests in different areas of your garden first to determine where to put the new soakaway. I hope this helps"
Answered on 24th Aug 2023 - Member since Jan 2023 - report
"Firstly try and get it high pressure jetted has you may have a blockage if this doesn’t help with the issues then divert it to a new soak away or maybe to connect it to a sewer within your property."
Answered on 24th Aug 2023 - Member since Jul 2023 - report
"I would say it just old , just replace the pipes to soak away might have roots in it.but It might just be old I would start with the pipes to the soakaway and have reserves for a new soakaway ap"
Answered on 24th Aug 2023 - Member since Oct 2020 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year