Small changes to passed house plans

What counts as a small change to passed plans for building a house? How much can you change without reapplying for permission?

Asked by jonathan on 7th Mar 2023
Expert Trade Answers
"You can only make non-material amendments. Typically this may include;
Amendments to openings (doors or windows) that do not overlook neighbouring properties, so side windows etc.
reducing the size of the building or extension
Changing the interior layout

You should be able to apply for a planning amendment rather than a fresh planning application. The best thing to do is call your local council and discuss the changes with them.


Answered on 15th Mar 2023 - Member since Apr 2019 - report
"In general, minor changes that are unlikely to significantly impact the character or appearance of the development may be considered non-material amendments and can be approved by the local planning authority without the need for a new planning application. Examples of minor changes might include moving a window or door, making small alterations to the internal layout, or changing the materials used for the development.

However, if the changes you want to make are more significant or could have a greater impact on the character or appearance of the development, you may need to submit a new planning application for the revised plans. Examples of more significant changes might include increasing the height or size of the development, changing the use of the development, or altering the access to the development.

In any case, it's always best to consult with the local planning authority before making any changes to the approved plans to ensure that you are complying with their requirements and that your changes will be permitted without needing a new planning application.

Remember that you have a free revision to resubmit after the decision is made within a year!"
Answered on 3rd Apr 2023 - Member since Apr 2023 - report
"There are a few options depending on the works you would want at your property.

1.There are the internal works that do not require pla ing permission.

2. Conversions

- Loft Conversions not exceeding 40m2 of additional new space added for terraced house and not exeeding 50m2 for semi detached house.

-Kitchen back extensions not exceeding 3 meters Into the garden space.

Partu wall agreement will be required / building control company to monitor the works and to issue the certificate at the end of works, and also council to be notified in advance with 5 working days before the works starts."
Answered on 30th May 2023 - Member since May 2023 - report
Find Tradespeople, compare up to 3 quotes!
It's FREE and there are no obligations
Ask a Trade
Got a question that only a tradesperson can answer? We have thousands of trades ready to answer any question you may have.
Ask your question
Ask a Trade

Are you looking for advice on a DIY project or have a question for our tradespeople?

We'll email your question to tradespeople who are skilled in your chosen category.

Your question will be made public - please do not include any personal details.

{{ first(ask.errors)[0] }}

By continuing you agree to the Community Guidelines.

Report Content

{{ first(reportForm.errors) }}

Thank you

Your report has been created and will be investigated shortly.

Ready to get a price for your home improvement project?
Get started

Over 1 million homeowners and over 50,000 tradespeople
use MyJobQuote nationwide each year